Complete soon to be Noob! Rooting question...

Wbrian

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All!
Just got my 1st Droid. It's an Epic 4G. Coming from Blackberry, I am unfamiliar with how to upgrade OS/root, etc. I was able to figure out how to upgrade the OS OTA in settings. Worked well, apparently.

I have a few questions about rooting the phone. I only wish to do this to enable wifi hotspot capability. If I root the phone, will I need to reload an OS? Or, does the existing OS remain functional?

What is the simplest way to root a phone, then?

Thank you for any help. I have been searching through the forums for a few days about this and honestly got more confused than enlightened. A lot of terms I couldn't wrap my head around!

Thanks again!
B.

dmchenry35

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You'll keep your OS, no custom rom or flashing neccassary.

To root, just google "Epic 4G Root" I can't link you to the thread its on another android forum, sorry.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC! Here is the Epic 4G Root forum that you can refer to for rooting the device: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/

Refer to the sticky post for rooting. I would suggest reading through the process before attempting to familiarize yourself and make it as smooth as possible. A reload of the OS is not necessary. In fact, you may see in the above link that there are custom OS' for the device that you can load which in almost every case will improve your experience.

Feel free to ask questions should you have any.