1 Google Voice account on multiple Android Phones?

SalilSundresh

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Will this work? Will they all ring when the 1 number is called? Particularly as applies to Android 2.2.

The idea is to use a couple old Android phones as a home phone system.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't it be really expensive to do this?

There are systems out there that tie your cell phone VIA Bluetooth (I believe) to several portable house phones. When you are at home, your house phones ring, when you aren't, they wont. I think the phones even have access to the contacts on your cell phone. Not sure if you can hook multiple cell phones into the system, but, it's worth looking into. Would be way cheaper because you wouldn't have to have multiple plans.

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG7622B DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone, Black, 2 Handsets: Electronics

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, wasn't thinking about VoIP. Still, if you already have cellphones, the link I posted might not be a bad idea. Then people only ever have to call you at one number.

SalilSundresh

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, wasn't thinking about VoIP. Still, if you already have cellphones, the link I posted might not be a bad idea. Then people only ever have to call you at one number.

Right, and if I had a couple devices all using the same Google Voice account then it would seem people would only have to call one number, no?

Basically the plan would be to take 3 android devices (these could be phone, tablets, mp3 players, etc-anything running android) and add the same google voice account to each of them..then when someone calls that account's google voice number, would all of them ring? Anyone know if this would work in actuality? Any rooting required? When using Talkatone on iOS devices, if a google voice number is added to an iOS device then ONLY that device will ring when the number is called. So in this case, we have an Obi hai system which no longer rings when that google voice account is used in Talkatone on an iPad. I would try this myself but I don't have any Android devices at the moment to test it on. I plan to acquire a couple cheap Android devices if this will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Right, and if I had a couple devices all using the same Google Voice account then it would seem people would only have to call one number, no?

Basically the plan would be to take 3 android devices (these could be phone, tablets, mp3 players, etc-anything running android) and add the same google voice account to each of them..then when someone calls that account's google voice number, would all of them ring? Anyone know if this would work in actuality? Any rooting required? When using Talkatone on iOS devices, if a google voice number is added to an iOS device then ONLY that device will ring when the number is called. So in this case, we have an Obi hai system which no longer rings when that google voice account is used in Talkatone on an iPad. I would try this myself but I don't have any Android devices at the moment to test it on. I plan to acquire a couple cheap Android devices if this will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would think so, but, I'm not 100%. I know that when I get a text message VIA GV it goes to both my Prime and my X2, same with email. I would think that would mean that any phone associated with that account would receive a call in the same fashion. But, I can't give you a solid answer on that one. Phone calls would seem to be a bit different then text/email. Wish I could be more help. If you take the plunge and get the phones, I'd be curious to know if it worked.

Yep. You can have as many phones ring as you want.

Sounds like EM thinks it will work though. I wish I had a spare phone lying around so I could test this. :(

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Remember for your Sprint friends calling your cell on their everything data but 450 minute voice plan, your Google voice number is considered a land line by Sprint, NOT a mobile number so those calling you on their Sprint phone (even if you only have your cell phone) will burn their monthly minutes.

My wife and I got torched one month when I was testing my new phone and just had her call my GV number.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I remember reading something about this a little while back.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
If you're gonna use something like a tab or MP3 player, you'd need to run it through a VoIP app in order to get a dialer. I have an old Android phone at home that I could try to use and see what happens.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I would assume you would need some kind of app. You can make outgoing calls from the GV site, but, I'm not sure how GV handles incoming calls. Probably doesn't work. :-\

But, OP was already planning to use VoIP.

Any chance you tested it out?

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're just trying to drop your landlines and replace it with something that works with your wifi via GV, you might want to look into something like Obi100. No separate voip service is required. Just hook it up to your router and connect to GV. You then just plug in your regular telephone to the obi system. Amazon has them for probably under $50.

I do believe you have to pay a nominal fee for 911 service.

Regarding Grooveip, I think if you have multiple wifi devices connected to one GV account, only one will ring for incoming calls.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech