No Sound With Text and Email Notifications After ICS Update

deltasig41

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII. I updated to the stock ICS last week, and ever since the update, my text notifications and email notifications will periodically mute themselves. Screen still lights up, notification is still in the notification bar, but no sound.

I've changed the settings to ensure I have them correct several times. I did a master reset as well. Doing a hard reset will fix the issue temporarily, but it always goes back to not working. Anyone else had this issue? Know of a fix? Thanks.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That's odd that it comes back after a reset. That leads me to believe that at some point after the reset, you are installing an app that is interfering with these sounds. Try backing out the apps you have installed a few at a time and see if the problem goes away. Alternatively, you can reset again and install your apps slowly until you find the culprit.

If that doesn't work, how long have you had your phone? If you are still under warranty, call AT&T and complain.

deltasig41

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm convinced there's an issue with the new update, because it never did it prior to installing ICS. And, as I said, it does it periodically, then will stop working. Is it possible there's a problem with old gingerbread files being kept in the cache? Perhaps they are interfering with the new software? It's more of an inconvenience than anything, but I would like to fix the issue. Just don't think it's worth spending an hour on the phone with tech support when I know they won't do anything anyway.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it, but, maybe. Well, you might have not had a certain app installed until after your ICS update either. You should try and leave it as stock as possible for as long as you think it needs for it to happen again. If it doesn't happen, you are installing an app that causes the problem.

Yea, I don't blame you for wanting it fixed. And, I don't blame you for not wanting to be on the phone with tech support, but, if you can't figure it out on your own or with help here, and, really want it fixed, you might have to. If the phone isn't under warranty I probably wouldn't bother. The only reason I call Verizon is when I know I'm going to need a new phone.

Last edited:

royfalk

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy Y and it stopped beeping when new text messages arrive.
I've tried every setting and even tried a reset factory settings. Nothing helped.
So I wrote an app to do this. Mind you, I did it mostly to solve my own problem.
It's free, there's no GUI and no ads.
If anyone is interested I uploaded it to Google Play at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=org.royfalk.falconsms&token=QpUOxAPv

Roy Falk

royfalk

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy Y and it stopped beeping when new text messages arrive.
I've tried every setting and even tried a reset factory settings. Nothing helped.
So I wrote an app to do this. Mind you, I did it mostly to solve my own problem.
It's free, there's no GUI and no ads.
If anyone is interested I uploaded it to Google Play at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=org.royfalk.falconsms&token=r-W-yv4i

Roy Falk