Will rooting my phone help my phone storage issue?

PsychoUndead

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay,so I've read a few threads and forum sites and I haven't found an answer yet,so here's my issue. Recently,I'd say a few months ago, my phone started to act up and say that I'm running low of phone storage. I've been using a cache cleaner app and a history eraser app to band aid it for now,but it's constantly popping up. These apps can show me how much space I have in total,and how much I have available. I have a total of 201.00MB and only about 21.00MB available..Now I never use my phone memory. I have an 8gb sd card that I use only. Now I know MANY people have the same problem,but I was wondering that if I root my phone,will I be able to fix this problem?

Tl;Dr - Will rooting my phone fix the Notorious phone storage issue?:-\

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What type of phone do you have? Just curious how big the internal storage is.

Either way, I don't really see how rooting your phone is going to clear up the problem. Have you tried removing some un-needed apps? Moving some apps to your SD card? Or maybe you have too many photos and videos on your phone that you could move to your SD card. A reset might help, but, I still don't think rooting is going to fix the problem.

Also, have you tried going into your browser and clearing all the data from there? Not sure if clearing out the cache VIA Manage Apps does the same thing, but, it's worth a shot.

And, in fact, it could be the cache cleaner that is the problem. Maybe it's a rogue app. What is the app? I just know that I don't have any apps like that on my phone, and, I don't have any storage issues.

Sounds like an issue involving phone maintenance, and, not a need to root. Or a factory reset might be in order, then keeping on top of phone maintenance.

PsychoUndead

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
What type of phone do you have? Just curious how big the internal storage is.

Either way, I don't really see how rooting your phone is going to clear up the problem. Have you tried removing some un-needed apps? Moving some apps to your SD card? Or maybe you have too many photos and videos on your phone that you could move to your SD card. A reset might help, but, I still don't think rooting is going to fix the problem.

Also, have you tried going into your browser and clearing all the data from there? Not sure if clearing out the cache VIA Manage Apps does the same thing, but, it's worth a shot.

And, in fact, it could be the cache cleaner that is the problem. Maybe it's a rogue app. What is the app? I just know that I don't have any apps like that on my phone, and, I don't have any storage issues.

Sounds like an issue involving phone maintenance, and, not a need to root. Or a factory reset might be in order, then keeping on top of phone maintenance.

Like I said,I don't use the phone memory. I have NOTHING on my phone,other than what it came with. I assume the pictures/videos are on the sd card,but I could be wrong,but even so,I barely have any to begin with. Well,I've been told,that there are three spots of memory/storage on a phone: The SD card,the phone memory,and another storage unit attached to the phone memory. The last one is used for actual app memory IE:Game data,browser history,etc. And I've heard that rooting your phone,can make that last storage unit larger,or even move it to the SD card instead using the phone memory. and that you can delete useless storage from it. My phone is an LG -MS690,Android version 2.2.2 if that's enough info. I got the cache cleaner app AFTER the issue started happening. help? o_o

PsychoUndead

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh,and I forgot to add,I already have all my apps on my SD card. I promised myself,I wouldn't download/keep any that couldn't be transfered to the SD card for the fact of the storage issue. I can't download any apps,nor receive/send any Texts while this issue is happening.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Like I said,I don't use the phone memory. I have NOTHING on my phone,other than what it came with. I assume the pictures/videos are on the sd card,but I could be wrong,but even so,I barely have any to begin with. Well,I've been told,that there are three spots of memory/storage on a phone: The SD card,the phone memory,and another storage unit attached to the phone memory. The last one is used for actual app memory IE:Game data,browser history,etc. And I've heard that rooting your phone,can make that last storage unit larger,or even move it to the SD card instead using the phone memory. and that you can delete useless storage from it. My phone is an LG -MS690,Android version 2.2.2 if that's enough info. I got the cache cleaner app AFTER the issue started happening. help? o_o

Well, when you say memory, are you talking about the internal storage?

Check to see where your pics and whatnot are being stored. They could be being stored on internal and that might account for your problem. If you go into settings in camera, you should be able to check the setting. Alternatively, you could just plug the phone in VIA USB and check, but, that would seem slower.

Well, there should be three storage places. Reserved internal storage for the OS, internal storage for apps, pics, etc., and your SD card.

I dunno, I guess it's possible that flashing a custom ROM could increase OS internal storage, but, how much could it really be increased by? Not much I'd say, so, I don't see how that's gonna help you.

Can you shoot a link for the phone? I just wanna see how much storage it has. My phone's internal has 8 GB and I store all the apps on it and have never had any issues. Not trying to say your issue isn't valid though.

Oh,and I forgot to add,I already have all my apps on my SD card. I promised myself,I wouldn't download/keep any that couldn't be transfered to the SD card for the fact of the storage issue. I can't download any apps,nor receive/send any Texts while this issue is happening.

Okay, that's weird. Unless you have like 1 GB of internal storage, I don't see how it could be an issue. Maybe it's something with your email? How much data is listed under Gmail when you go into Manage Apps? Or what about text messaging? How much data is listed there?

I hate to say it, but, a reset might be the easiest way to resolve the whole issue. That way you don't keep banging your head against the wall about it. :-\

Reactions: PsychoUndead

PsychoUndead

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
You sir,are awesome,that you're actually helping,just thought I'd put that out there.
My phone doesn't even have a GB >_> Like I said,it says there's a total of 201MB but only like 20MB available.. >__> I'm using an LG Optimus M. I don't use Email on my phone at all. When I clear the app cache,I clear everything,even the gmail app,when there's barely any KB in it. And unfortunately,I dunno how to check where the photos are being stored. ._.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!! I appreciate that. I do love troubleshooting, so, you are helping me out too. :p

Oh, wow, that is nothing. I just checked out the specs on Wikipedia and it says:

Storage 512 MB flash EEPROM (140 or 170 MB user addressable)

LG Optimus One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If that's the case, I think it's just that the phone has like, no storage space and you might just have to reset and recover whatever problem you are having. I know it's a pain, but, it might be the only option. But, keep checking this thread, and, maybe someone will have a better option.

If you have moved all your apps to SD, I don't really see any other options. You could try hooking the phone up to a computer VIA USB and see if you can clean up the internal storage a bit more that way. If you only have 20 MB available, something is taking up that space, be it an app, or, something else, but, you can always root around. Other than that, I'm not really sure what you can do with so little internal storage. If the phone worked out of the box though, I would assume with a reset it'll work again. Don't jump the gun on that one if you can wait though. Ya never know who might chime in with some magic solution for ya!! AC has a really great knowledgeable user base out there, and, hopefully someone has something for ya. :D

Reactions: PsychoUndead

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Cool buddy. No problem. Be sure to come back and post your resolution if you get this all worked out. I'd be curious to know how it works out for ya!! :D

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, you could root and unistall bloatware, which would give you more space. There are also mods in place that use the sd card as phone storage space, but I would steer clear of them if I were you (You don't want to know what happens to your phone if your sd card fails while using one of those mods). Since I came from the optimus s, I feel your pain in terms of storage space. There are several mods in the optimus s section of the forums, and while I don't guarantee they are supported for your phone, they could give you an idea of the kind of things you are looking for.

Reactions: Devinator

PsychoUndead

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, you could root and unistall bloatware, which would give you more space. There are also mods in place that use the sd card as phone storage space, but I would steer clear of them if I were you (You don't want to know what happens to your phone if your sd card fails while using one of those mods). Since I came from the optimus s, I feel your pain in terms of storage space. There are several mods in the optimus s section of the forums, and while I don't guarantee they are supported for your phone, they could give you an idea of the kind of things you are looking for.
Well thank you too sir. That helped some too. hm. What is this "bloatware" you speak of?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well thank you too sir. That helped some too. hm. What is this "bloatware" you speak of?
Bloatware, crapware, bloat, etc. are unwanted added apps by the carrier or manufacturer. For example, Sprint Zone, Sprint ID, Allshare and Blockbuster are bloatware. Some people consider Skins (manufacturer added User interfaces) as well as common apps such as facebook bloat as well. They typically are impossible to uninstall, and may run in the background, hogging system resources, and may occasionally spam you with notifications. "Trial" apps are also examples of bloat.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, unfortunately the only way to get rid of most bloatware is to root. Maybe that is part of your problem too. :'(

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Even though you have moved your apps to the SD Card, there are still portions of the app that remain in the phones internal memory. For some apps this could be 95% of the code. The problem is that your phone will not show you this.

Try to delete the apps you do not need to free up space and make sure that your photos are being saved to the external memory card.

Your only other option is to root your phone and get rid of any bloatware that the carrier loaded. Note that this can void your warranty so only take this step if there is nothing else to do.

If you do decide to root the phone, you can then install a new ROM which will have the bloatware already removed. Most of these ROMS work better then what came with the phone.

Good luck.

Doc