Can you use the JB google UI instead of Sense?

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Once the sprint galaxy S3 or HTC evo LTE are upgraded to jelly bean, can you just use the google experience UI and use less resources than the custom UI? I hear Samsung is bloated and even sense is slower than straight jelly bean. Or do the factory UIs still run in the background and make the phone slower than a nexus?

I am debating on one of these now or keep my evo3d till sprint gets a newer nexus.

Sorry if this is basic but I searched and just got more confused. Will either of these 2phones with JB be so close to a Nexus that it wouldn't be tha noticeable except to a pro, or would the Nexus be notably faster, smoother, etc?

I don't want to upgrade and be locked in to the current Nexus with sprint if something better is 6 months or less away.

Any advice is appreciated.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My Responses are in Bold
Once the sprint galaxy S3 or HTC evo LTE are upgraded to jelly bean, can you just use the google experience UI and use less resources than the custom UI?Not without rooting (hacking), and installing a custom ROM, which voids your warranty. Also, in the past, most Android manufacturers have been absolutely horrible with updates. If you wait for an official update, you could be waiting a while. I hear Samsung is bloated and even sense is slower than straight jelly bean. I can't really say anything definitive about this, because one of the big features of Jelly Bean was the speed increase, nicknamed "Project Butter". Since Neither Sense nor Touchwiz (Samsung's custom user interface) has been run on jelly bean (the two phones you are talking about run ICS), it's hard to say whether the performance difference is because of the custom UI or because of the code improvements when making the transition between ICS and JB. Or do the factory UIs still run in the background and make the phone slower than a nexus?The first part of your question is easy to answer, the second part is hard. The UIs are so fully integrated into the system, that you can't just "Turn them Off". The system's core functions have been changed by the custom skin. You could install a custom launcher, to be rid of the non-nexus look on the homescreen, but some parts of the User interface cannot be changed without rooting (the color of the battery indicator, for example. Both Sense and Touchwiz have green, while Stock ICS has blue). Whether they are slower than a Nexus is subjective. What is "Speed?" Also, the Nexus has been on the market for over six months. In terms of hardware alone, both the SGSIII and the LTEvo destroy the Nexus. Therefore, speed is hard to measure.

I am debating on one of these now or keep my evo3d till sprint gets a newer nexus.
That's a tough one. I'm assuming that you know that, if you got either the galnex, the sgsIII, or the LTEvo, you would be without 4g (Sprint is transitioning from the Wimax 4g technology to LTE). It's hard to know when the next Nexus will come out. Considering that Google probably won't (Or at least, shouldn't) come out with another update to the OS, and they normally release a new nexus with a new version of android, they may not come out with another nexus until 2013. However, they might release a new line of nexii. Nothing is confirmed.
Sorry if this is basic but I searched and just got more confused. Will either of these 2phones with JB be so close to a Nexus that it wouldn't be tha noticeable except to a pro, or would the Nexus be notably faster, smoother, etc?
See my above answer.
I don't want to upgrade and be locked in to the current Nexus with sprint if something better is 6 months or less away.
Considering that, even though they are nexi, both Verizon's and Sprint's galnexi have yet to be upgraded to Jelly Bean, and how it took ~4 months to upgrade the Sprint Nexus S 4g to ICS, it seems like the CDMA Nexii (CDMA is the cell technology Sprint and Verizon use, while T-mobile, At&T, and most of the rest of the world use GSM) aren't really nexi at all. The point of Nexii is to get updates fast, and with the CDMA nexii, that just isn't happening. Either way, I would either get the LTEvo, GSIII, or wait. The current sprint nexus is outdated in both hardware and software.
Any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: jeffandpamsmith