Setting up email for @outlook.com address

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I hope you don't get a bunch of hate replies from google fans because with my own domain and an easy way to change what mailbox it forwards messages to, trying out the new outlook.com is super easy for me. I would however like to be able to read mail from my Evo or Nexus7, and after a few minutes of searching and trying, it doesn't look like that's something that Microsoft has gotten working just yet.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Use the same settings as before but with your @outlook.com address as the user name. Clear the server field Google attempts to automatically fill and change it to m.hotmail.com.

Mine is working with those settings. The team posted on reddit those settings with work with any client that supports EAS.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I found this on another forum and it worked for me. Use \[address]@outlook.com for domain\username and snt-m.hotmail.com as the server.

Yup, that totally worked on the Nexus 7 to connect to it as an exchange server rather than pop3, except instead of @outlook.com I used my actual login email.

Reactions: Jamma3

mikeisnowonfire

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I was merely suggesting a simple action for those who are lazy. Hotmail is a very ugly app. If you do the above changes mentioned by previous users, it works perfectly.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I was merely suggesting a simple action for those who are lazy. Hotmail is a very ugly app. If you do the above changes mentioned by previous users, it works perfectly.

Lol I think my response came off the wrong way...sarcasm in writing can sometimes do that=/

Anyway yeah...my point was only that I (and I'm assuming most Android users on 2.1+) would do anything to stay away from that app. Perhaps if they updated the UI to something newer than Cupcake, I'd be more keen to use it.

theghost12

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I have put this quick guide together

Hope it helps

1. Create new account using e-mail app
2. Manual setup
3. Choose Microsoft Exchange
4. Domain user = \username@outlook.com
5. Password = mail password that you set up previously
6. Exchange server = snt-m.hotmail.com
7. Check Use Secure connection (SSL)
8. Check Accept all SSL certificates (Not sure if this is required)
9. Accept the activation (If prompted)
10. Configure the mail client to your liking
11. Give the mail box a name (Currently set to Outlook)
12. Job done

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I just tried using m.hotmail.com (rather than snt-m.hotmail.com) as the server to set it up again after flashing a new ROM and it seems to be working now :)

ejfiii

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if you can set up the same with an outlook.com alias account? I tried the above settings and they don't work for the alias but they do for the main account. Thanks.

pilsen1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm clearly somewhat of a noob because I've followed the instructions that you guys provided but can't get any mail on the box. I haven't had any problems adding the account, I'm just not receiving mail. Help would be appreciate it.

The problem happens on my EVO 4g lte.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm clearly somewhat of a noob because I've followed the instructions that you guys provided but can't get any mail on the box. I haven't had any problems adding the account, I'm just not receiving mail. Help would be appreciate it.

The problem happens on my EVO 4g lte.

Are you still having issues? If so, can you explain your process and what you mean when you say you have no problems setting up the account? Are you able to send mail and if so, does the recipient see it as coming from your outlook account?

luv2fish8088

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Having trouble getting my email app to connect when setting up my new outlook.com email. I can't find any setup instructions on the site and would like to be able to run that through my stock ICS email app.

My evo 3D has ICS and I had the same problem. Applied settings below and I now can access my outlook.com email.

www.everneededto.com/.../setup-outlook-email-account-on-android.html

It will allow you to setup the email account without installing the hotmail email app. Good luck!!

jbo12

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The Hotmail app is hideous...so that's not really an option.
Agree. Especially if using on a pad. Seriously Microsoft? You launch Outlook.com website and I can't even get to it with Chrome mobile browser and is seriously crippled on Windows-based Chrome browser. Good luck with that!

Edit: Outlook.com now working with my Chrome browsers

Last edited:

mgh24

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess you have to know where to come for help! Hit several dead-ends before I found this thread here at Anroidcentral. Set up went perfectly.
Thanks