Sense, Blur, Froyo....etc

tobearms

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I am a current iPhone user (please stop throwing tomatoes) and have become totally fed up because of the latest iPhone 4 fiasco. I am going back to Verizon and have been looking at the Android phones they offer. My question (and pardon the ignorance if it makes no "sense") is this :

What is the difference between the platforms each of the phones are running? Which is better and why? I don't understand the difference between the original Droid, the HTC Sense found on the Incredible and the Non-blur X coming out in a couple of weeks. Assuming size doesn't matter, which phone should I get?

Lastly, does this "FroYo" thing (whatever it is) make the other "platforms" a moot point?

Help, please!

:cool:
Meg

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I'll help out as much as possible without writing a thesis paper. Haha

Froyo is the nickname for the newest Android Operaring System 2.2

Sense is a skinned version of the Android OS made by HTC. Can be found on all HTC phones if you exclude the Nexus One. Its dubbed as a user friendlier version of Android and adds customs widgets and HTC 'Scenes'

Blur is another skinned version of Android OS. Its made by Motorola and can be found on most Motorola devices, not all. Like Sense, its supposed to be a more user friendly version of Android.

The Moto X is doing something different. Its not quite running the 'vanilla' Android OS and its not quite Blur. Just a different look with added widgets. No one really knows how to describe it because no one has one.

Which is for you? Is for you to decide. I understand its an inconvience to you, but you have to get out and play with them all. My phone runs the basic Android OS. Its good for me. I've played with Sense enabled phones and I love it. Others don't because it adds to much to the phone and OS and thus drains battery life. I've also played with Blur and I think its ok. Its similar to Sense. A lot of people on here will tell you that Blur is a joke but they say that because the heard it from someone else and just carried on the advice. Blur isn't that bad but like Sense it adds a lot of clutter especially to the home screens.

Gotta choose for yourself.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Froyo is just another update to the Android OS... like iOS 4 is an update to iOS 3 and whatnot. All Android phones that Verizon is currently selling will get Froyo... AKA the DROID, Incredible, and the soon-to-be-released X (and I think the Ally as well?). The Droid 2 is rumored to launch with 2.2 in August.

If you want a keyboard, just wait till the Droid 2 comes out. If you don't mind having only a touchscreen, like what the iPhone has, the Inc and X are both gonna be great choices. Some people find the 4.3' screen on the X/Evo to be too large, but that is a personal preference type thing. The Incredible is roughly the same size as a 3GS with a slightly lager screen with a higher resolution. I prefer Sense over stock Android so the Inc is great for me. Go into Verizon and play with the various Android phones they have to get a feel for what you like. =]

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
since i can see, the differences and descriptions have been stated for you which makes it a little easier to figure out which might suit your interests the best.

my recommendation is since it seems like every carrier has at least 1 of each of the different UI's (except froyo but eventually they will have it) i would go down to whichever carrier and try each out for a little bit. see how you like each one and kind of come to a conclusion as to which one suits your needs. i could tell you the new droid x will be amazing but that is just my opinion which could be different then yours. just don't let the sales reps try to sell you on a phone. I have heard stories where you would be looking at a top of the line phone but the rep would sell you on the little dinky phone (maybe they were trying to push that specific phone, who knows?).

tobearms

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Great - thanks for the tips, Guys! I'll go play with a few and see which one makes the most sense. I appreciate your time and patience in explaining this foreign world to me!

Hopefully, soon, I will be giving advice to another iPhone user who is smart enough to leave that mess.

Thanks again,
Meg

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Great - thanks for the tips, Guys! I'll go play with a few and see which one makes the most sense. I appreciate your time and patience in explaining this foreign world to me!

Hopefully, soon, I will be giving advice to another iPhone user who is smart enough to leave that mess.

Thanks again,
Meg

NP. In my experience a shocking number of iPhone users are just like Windows users... they can't understand that something else out there is better (Android and Mac OSX respectfully). People still think the iPhone is the only game in town like it was back in 07 when it launched. In the last ~20 moths though Android OS has caught up, and in some regards passed iOS. Only now is Apple doing things like folders and custom backgrounds.

And I see no contradiction being both a Mac and Android fanboy ;)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see this mentioned (and sorry for confusing the OP more), is that you can download launchers as well. For example, I have an EVO (with Sense), but if I wanted to I could use an app called "Launcher" or "Launcher Pro" to bypass Sense and just use stock (or stock-similar) Android. There are several other Launchers as well, although being new to Android myself, I am not overly familiar with them or the varieties.

Right now I am using Sense with a pseudo-launcher called Powerstrip that adds some nice functionality on top of Sense that I like (for example when I press my "Home Key" I now get a window that opens with my favorite programs/widgets, without kicking me out of whatever app I'm currently using). Pressing it twice takes me back to my home screen.

It's all preference, but the great thing about Android is it's highly customizable, so just because you might buy a phone with Sense, doesn't mean you're stuck with using Sense.

I've had the EVO since launch (so not quite a month) and I have probably gone through about 5 or 6 different launcher/configurations/combinations. I usually set it up and play with it for 3 days or so to see what I like or don't like. I think I have found the combo that works with me, which is the Sense and Powerstrip (here's a video to explain it, although he isn't using Sense like I am, but it works the same).

Last edited:

tobearms

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thats exactly what I was wondering! Very cool...

It will be nice to have a phone that can be customized - unlike the super controlled phone I have now.

Thanks so much

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
On another note, comparing my Incredible to my co-worker's iPhone 4, they are nearly identical in length and width, with the incredible just slightly lighter and slimmer. Spec wise, they are about on par with one another.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thats exactly what I was wondering! Very cool...

It will be nice to have a phone that can be customized - unlike the super controlled phone I have now.

Thanks so much

Thats the core reason we are on Android (well, at least mine....). You can choose so many things about the phone for yourself... its so different compared to what Apple does with the iPhone.

On another note, comparing my Incredible to my co-worker's iPhone 4, they are nearly identical in length and width, with the incredible just slightly lighter and slimmer. Spec wise, they are about on par with one another.

Still more proof that Apple is no longer the technological king of the hill that they were during other iPhone launches. The hardware, especially from HTC, Motorola, and now Samsung, has caught up and in some cases surpassed Apple (front facing camera, noise canceling mic, 720p video recording etc). Google have focused all their efforts on the software and Android has grown by leaps and bounds from what it was on the G1.

If Android phones now are pretty comparable to the iPhone 4, just imagine where we will be come November and into next year ;)

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well I've only used plain vanilla but I like it a lot. I've seen videos of Sense and it looks very nice. Seen videos of Blur too but it looks to crowded imo.

Regardless of UI, you can customize the crap out of any Android phone.

d_1000#AC

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you EvilMonkey. My Inc will finally arrive on Tuesday....I have been a bb Storm 1 user for the past 20 or so mos and I am trying to get up to speed before it arrives. Your post has been very helpful.

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and I can't take what's been going on with it so far. Today while on a call, my cheek activated the contact list, selected a contact, choose default ringtone, and started to play the ringtone while I was on the phone with a person. It also hit the "mute" button twice and the person thought I hung up on them. Plus when I hold the phone a certain way, it does drop the call. Anyway... I am looking to come back to Verizon. I had an Inc and Droid so Im pretty familar with them. What I want to do is get a Droid and then when the new droid comes out, exchange it for the new Droid X. I love NFL mobile and think the bigger screen will be great for that. I would get the incredible but I have to wait 3-4 weeks for it and I can't wait that long.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and I can't take what's been going on with it so far. Today while on a call, my cheek activated the contact list, selected a contact, choose default ringtone, and started to play the ringtone while I was on the phone with a person. It also hit the "mute" button twice and the person thought I hung up on them. Plus when I hold the phone a certain way, it does drop the call. Anyway... I am looking to come back to Verizon. I had an Inc and Droid so Im pretty familar with them. What I want to do is get a Droid and then when the new droid comes out, exchange it for the new Droid X. I love NFL mobile and think the bigger screen will be great for that. I would get the incredible but I have to wait 3-4 weeks for it and I can't wait that long.

Why not just wait for the X before switching? While the iPhone 4 does have a number of issues, it would seem to me that using it for another 2 weeks wouldn't kill you. You would probably save a lot of hassle with Verizon.

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
The market value on the iPhone 4 will drop drastically by then.. I mean they are going for $800 on ebay right now and won't be for much longer so if I were going to sell it, this would be the time. And since I don't have any extra at&t phones I could use for a week or so, I'd figure i'd just do that... That leads me to a tough choice..

rhippler

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure that the sales person doesn't talk you into an out dated phone. All the high end phones are either back ordered or not available yet.

Joneser2006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for asking the question tobearms.

Now, for a new question:

At the store, I can't demo a phone like I will use it. Outside use, use in a service tech environment, business use apps. I use apps on my S1 for a time clock to MLB AtBat to NEEDING a better Task/List app (I know, I know, the Droid/Inc/X will be miles ahead of the speed of my beloved S1).

Which phone is best when viewed in direct sunlight? My Storm is excels in this area. Which phone is more heavy duty and can be used in a not-so-sterile environment or in rough weather/temperatures? I am also in a more rural area with less reception at times and the closest Verizon retail store 100 miles away so trying it out in the store is not so convenient.

Additionally, how hard would any of the big 3 phones transition to a professional environment that uses BB (enterprise)?

Thanks for helping the noob.

Last edited: