data connection troubles

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks

I need help understanding something about cell phones. I have the Samsung S3.

I am having trouble with data connection. It keeps going round robin between no data connection to 1X to 3G. I see that in the notification bar. Doesn't matter what the "bars" read, varies from 1 to 5 bars.

For example at one point I had -78 dBm and 1X. Don't understand that, seems to me I should of had 3G.

So what is the relationship between the signal strength, the 1x-3g-4g indicator and bars ?

Any ideas why the round robin with data connection ?

BTW I've gone through the settings with verizon tech support, swapped out the sim card and even swapped out the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So what is the relationship between the signal strength, the 1x-3g-4g indicator and bars ?
None, other than the quality of signal you're getting for the type of data connection you're getting.

The problem could be that the location in which you're in has very little data bandwidth available with respect to the amount being used. (IOW, in the center of a major metro area, or during some event that has everyone trying to use data, getting a data connection may be impossible, even if all the local towers and your phone are all working perfectly.)

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
What I fail to understand is why my data connection cycles (handoff) between none,1x and 3g. I don't get 4g because I'm in building 2 that is directly between me and the 4g antenna.

I'd expect constant 3g since we have a repeater (CSI-DSP85-C/P) and it's antenna is close by.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
There are signal interfearences trees buildings walls if the signals too weak from going through all these barriers your not going to get signal the amount of bars you have is directly related to the data speed the stronger the signal the faster your net speed if you have 2 bars your gonna be on a slow speed its like a wifi connection the closer you are the better the signal the faster your speed the farther away you basically get dial up speeds. Down load speed test off the play market when you get a decent signal test it when you get a weak one test it compare it it will be shockingly drastic and the radios you have 2 radios one gprs2g /g and a 4 g radio if the 4 g radio can't get signal no speed the regular radio is getting a weak signal. Weak speed I hope I helped

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
And a note if your in an older building or you have alot of alunimum siding or anything metal its going to deflect the signal works as a supes up encripted 2 way radio wave so anything that deflects the signal radiation is bad for the signal ane in soke cases if your building was built in new york or any cities as a potential hot zone for a nuke during the code war they went as far as to put lead in the walls which blocks radiation but kills signal if you have a tuff time getting an fm rario to work chances are you got lead in your walls or some form of radio wave ent material in the walls

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I would reiterate that I am not looking for 4g from an outside antenna. I am simply expecting a constant 3g signal from the repeater installed in this 3 year old building.

Thing is that our company's cell phone support person has a samsung S3 (along with an iphone), and his S3 experiences the same issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If there are two of the same phones experiencing the same problem, I'd suspect the repeater. Some of the cheaper ones can put out a signal that's barely distinguishable from noise.

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
If there are two of the same phones experiencing the same problem, I'd suspect the repeater. Some of the cheaper ones can put out a signal that's barely distinguishable from noise.

What I found out based on 3 S3 phones is that 2 of them have build version IMM76D.I535VRALF2 (one of which is mine) fail. The other with a build version IMM76D.I535VRALG1 does not fail and connects very well.

I am trying to get Verizon to get me that update but they are stalling.

USF2005

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both have same connection problem with build IMM76D.I535VRALF2.

Others who have build IMM76D.I535VRALG1 show no problems from the same locations where I cannot get an internet connection. Has Verizon been able to get you the updated build?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both have same connection problem with build IMM76D.I535VRALF2.

Others who have build IMM76D.I535VRALG1 show no problems from the same locations where I cannot get an internet connection. Has Verizon been able to get you the updated build?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No they are stalling and keep giving me excuses talking about other stuff instead of the very specific issue and difference with build versions.

Anyone know if the newer build can be updated OTA ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could try calling retention and telling them that you consider a ROM that doesn't work to be failure to provide service, so you're considering canceling your contract due to the fact that they've breached it. (A call from an internal department to the "ROM update" department carries more weight than your call to them.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX