Hey everyone! I'm a new member here. I'm from Maine and have a couple Android devices, a Samsung Galaxy Aviator (basically a rebranded Droid Charge) and a Asus Transformer Prime. I love my android devices, but ran into a hiccup lately.

Instead of tethering to get internet at home like I have been, I recently got DSL and a wireless router at home. Works well enough except that my location is WAY off. But only on the two devices mentioned above, not my wife's android phone, not her pc, not my Macbook.

Long story short, the Maps app says I'm in Turkey, but I'm in Maine. When connected to wifi on my phone, the weatherbug app says I'm in Turkey.

I don't know much about mobile technology, but I've looked into my IP address and called my ISP customer service. He believes that it is something with my devices because other computers connected to the wifi get the location right.

So I checked whatismyipaddress.com and looked at a map of my location there. 2 were correct, but one, the W3C Geolocation, says I'm in Turkey.

Not sure if I'm making any sense or not, but I'm confused about how to fix it. If anybody can help me out, I'd appreciate it very much!

Ken
    08-11-2012 01:29 PM
    When you are not connected to WiFi, can you get the correct location? If not, at least then you know it's definitely the devices that are the problem. You might want to go into your apps and look through them all and look for any services that look like they might be related to GPS or Location and clear Cache/Data.

Also, I assume you have all of your Location Services on?
    kclewis82 likes this.
    08-11-2012 08:48 PM
    When you are not connected to WiFi, can you get the correct location? If not, at least then you know it's definitely the devices that are the problem. You might want to go into your apps and look through them all and look for any services that look like they might be related to GPS or Location and clear Cache/Data.

Also, I assume you have all of your Location Services on?
    Thanks for getting back to me. My location services are on and they work on my phone when I'm not connected to my Wifi. I just checked again, and when my wife's phone is connected to the wifi, the location is wrong also, same place in Turkey. So, I'm wondering if it has to do with the mobile platform. I'm clueless about this stuff, but to mobile browsers/apps report a different IP address than a notebook pc?

Thanks again,

Ken
    08-11-2012 09:48 PM
    No problem.

You only have one IP address, whatever you are getting from your ISP.

Have you tried turning off GPS and other services, but, leave on Google location services? Then reboot your phone, see if that works. Or maybe doing the same thing with GPS.

You could also try connecting to someone elses' WiFi and see if you have the same problem.
    08-11-2012 09:59 PM
    I don't usually have gps on, but I turned it on and rebooted. Nothing changes. On a side note, I went to whatismyipaddress.com and some how got to a map. On the map it showed 3 locations, 2 from my ISP and close to where I live, and one in Turkey. The one in Turkey was labeled W3C Geolocation instead of Provider A. Not sure what that means, but it seems to say that my location based on my IP address can be found correctly, but is superseded by the w3c geolocation, whatever that is.
    08-11-2012 11:02 PM
    When I go to that website, it brings me to a page and map right away showing me fairly accurately where I am. I only have one location, not three. When you went to the site, were you doing it from your phone or from a computer?

Who is your ISP?

Also, when you get a chance, try to connect to someone elses' WiFi and see what you get.
    08-11-2012 11:25 PM
    Both my phone and my tablet. From the landing page, there is a link below the map that says "update IP location."

When I get a chance, I'll connect to someone else's wifi. Not sure when I'll be able to though.

Thanks again!
    08-11-2012 11:39 PM
    Does the landing page say you are in Turkey?

I'm just curious if it still says you are in Turkey, regardless of who's WiFi you are on. I'm just confused while you are having the issue of it saying you are in Turkey with your phones, but, not your computer.

No prob.
    08-11-2012 11:50 PM
    Geolocation services work from your IP address, so somehow you probably have an IP address that resolves to Turkey. Turkey has a lot of IP address ranges, so I don't want to spam all of them here, but if you post the first two octets of your address (w.x.y.z, post the w.x part) I'll look it up and tell you what country it's assigned to.

All devices that connect to your router will be using the same external IP address. (They each get a different internal address. That's what "routing" is - routing the one external address that your provider gives you to many internal addresses for your devices.)

There's no way that gelolocation can give you the wrong location based on the device you have connected to your router. It's your router's IP address (the one it gets from your provider) that's used to determine your location. (Mine shows about 15 miles from where I am. It used to show about 2 miles away, but my provider evidently changed something in the network.)
    08-12-2012 10:38 PM
    Does the landing page say you are in Turkey?

I'm just curious if it still says you are in Turkey, regardless of who's WiFi you are on. I'm just confused while you are having the issue of it saying you are in Turkey with your phones, but, not your computer.

No prob.
    Yes, the landing page says I'm in Turkey when on my home wifi. I went somewhere this morning and connected to their wifi, and location was right on the money.

Rukbat, the first two numbers of my IP address are 21

Is there something, beside the IP address, that mobile device use to determine location? Could my router's MAC address have anything to do with it?

Thanks for your efforts!
    08-13-2012 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD