Hello,

I've got a Galaxy Nexus phone recently and since I'm not familiar with Android (ICS) at all it took me a while to get used to it.
    Since I was not very satisfied with the pre-installed googleCalendar I was told to install the app aCalendar, which I was very happy with for a while. But whenever there was an Calendar alarm which I wanted to change the note opened in the old googleCalendar. And that's why I thought I might change that by disabling the googleCalendar. Yes, what I did not know at that time was that the aCalendar depends on the googleCalendar. Afterwards I couldn't make any entries to the aCalendar anymore. So I went back to the apps-list and to my horror there was no appropriate button for enabling the calendar again (why not???). In despair I went to Settings and Reset app preferences, which seemed to work for a while - the old Calendar worked again.
    A couple of days later, however (I don't have the slightest clue whether it had anything to do with my former actions or with anything else) it stopped working again and I didn't find any possibility to start it again - which is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING, since I need a calendar!

HOW do I start the googleCalendar again??? If I go the app in the app-list it obviously still exists, but there is NO button to make it start again! (Why the hell do they put an DISABLE-button there, if they don't give you the option to ENABLE it again!? that's crazy!!)

I have a file manager installed and I see that the calendar app is stored in /system/app (actually there are two calendar files - CalendarGoogle.apk & CalendarProvider.apk). When I try to say install, it won't install and says App not installed. Great! And what now???

Please, please, please, does anybody has a solution to this problem (and pleeeeeease don't come up with things like "You have to root your mobile", because this is no option for me and I don't want to mess up with the system even more).

Thanks in advance, Eva
    08-13-2012 07:47 AM
    Clear data/Cache for aCalendar and Android Calendar.
    Start over again... I really wouldn't disable any app in Nexus devices...
    08-13-2012 11:33 AM
    I HAVE cleared data & cache (and even uninstalled aCalendar), but this doesn't help, because the GoogleCalendar app no longer exists on my screen (only in the all apps list in settings). In other words (as I understand it) the executable file I can still find under system/app, but I can't execute it (that means I can't reinstall it), which is most probably a root problem ...
    08-14-2012 03:51 AM
    There is no enable button? When I disable any app, it goes to the bottom of the list in All Apps and says disabled next to it. When I select the app, the Disable button has changed to say in Enable. This is not happening for you? Is there anything where the Disable button was?
    08-14-2012 09:31 AM
    No, there has never been an Enable button - isn't that weird?

First there existed two buttons: Force stop and Disable
    After pressing Disable, the button disappeared completely. So there was only one button left (the Force stop button I guess, but definitely no Enable). Since there was no possibility to enable the app again I went to the Settings for All apps and clicked on Reset app preferences.
    Then it seemed to work for a while (at that stage I did NOT check whether the Disable button reappeared again since I expected the calendar to work). About two days later I noticed that the calendar did not work again. At that time there wasn't only the Force stop button, which I clicked, because nothing else worked anymore. Afterwards an Uninstall updates button appeared, the only one I did not use. ;-)

I understand that this sounds rather confusing, but it's exactly how it happened. :-(
    08-14-2012 02:08 PM
    Hmm, strange.

Have you tried looking around to see if you can find the official APK anywhere? I know you said it's on your phone, but, maybe there is something wrong with that one, I dunno.

You said when you reset your app preferences, did you reboot after that?

In your initial post you said you got your device recently. How recently? Recently enough that if in a couple of days you can't figure it out or if no one has a solution, you could factory reset without much headache?
    08-14-2012 02:25 PM
    1.) No, I haven't looked for the official APK yet. Maybe I'll give it a try, although I have only little hope that it will work

2.) I rebooted the phone for a million times since.

3.) I got it recently, right (was a present :-) ) Hmm, yes, but all my data will get lost. :-( The photos I can save on my computer, the address book I have synchronised with Google (although I don't have the slightest clue how to put them back on the phone again - something that I definitely will find out sooner or later, however), but what about my homescreens and the apps I installed afterwards? What happens with them? And my messages? They will be gone, too, right?

Well, thanks a lot for helping anyway!
    08-14-2012 02:56 PM
    1. Me either, just throwing things out there.

2. Lol, that's a lot of times.

3. If you Contacts are stored in Google, you shouldn't have to do anything to get them on another device. To confirm this, log into your Gmail in a web browser and you should be able to view all of the contacts you have on your phone. The other night I added a bunch of contacts VIA Gmail and by the time I was done, I looked on my phone and they were all there.

You will lose any customization. If you have a custom launcher, you can backup your home screens.

Apps you will have to install again. But, whatever apps you downloaded VIA Play can be pushed to your phone easily by logging into play from a PC, selecting your device, then browsing through all your previously downloaded apps and selecting what you want to install. It's way easier than doing it on your phone and it's rather seamless.

You will lose your messages, but, there is probably a way to back them up. I can't offer you an suggestions, as, I use GV for text messaging, and, all of my messages are on their server, so, I don't have to worry about that (plus I can send text messages VIA my PC using GV).

No problem!!
    calimera likes this.
    08-14-2012 04:12 PM
    3. If you Contacts are stored in Google, you shouldn't have to do anything to get them on another device. To confirm this, log into your Gmail in a web browser and you should be able to view all of the contacts you have on your phone. The other night I added a bunch of contacts VIA Gmail and by the time I was done, I looked on my phone and they were all there.

Yeah, that works perfectly ... at least SOMETHING that works! ;-)

You will lose any customization. If you have a custom launcher, you can backup your home screens.

No, don't use any custom launchers. The current one is fine, far away from perfect, but ok - and who knows what I'll get if I even install a different launcher - maybe it would end up in another diaster!

Apps you will have to install again. But, whatever apps you downloaded VIA Play can be pushed to your phone easily by logging into play from a PC, selecting your device, then browsing through all your previously downloaded apps and selecting what you want to install. It's way easier than doing it on your phone and it's rather seamless.

Well, that sounds good! You mean, if I reset my phone, Google Play will remember what apps I had installed before?

You will lose your messages, but, there is probably a way to back them up. I can't offer you an suggestions, as, I use GV for text messaging, and, all of my messages are on their server, so, I don't have to worry about that (plus I can send text messages VIA my PC using GV).

GV for text messaging? Oh God, that's too much! I'm getting too old for that! I don't even know whether anybody over here uses anything like that ...
    No, I use an app called SMS backup and I just hope that it will work when I need it. ;-)

Well, I think I will give it a last try (the calendar & the sound problem - yes, there's a sound problem, too, which however seems to be quite common in connection with the Galaxy Nexus) and walk to a Samsung Service Center. If they won't be able to help, I'll reset that bloody thing! ;-)
    08-16-2012 08:15 AM
    Log into Play on your PC. You can see all the apps you have purchased (free or otherwise). It's an account, doesn't have anything to do with the device. And, like I said, you can access Play VIA your PC, select your device, and, push any apps you want to install from there. It's way easier than selecting to install each one on your phone.

Lol. Well, they don't have to use GV, just you. I use it since I don't have to pay for texting. You have to have a separate phone number for it, but, it saves me 10 bucks a month. Cool, I hope that works too!!

Well, good luck. Make sure to post an update when you are done!!
    08-16-2012 08:35 AM
    I will, but it's probably going to take a while.
    THX.
    08-16-2012 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD