Stock browser auto-refresh question

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I asked this in the Bionic forum a while ago but never got any replies, so I figured I'd ask here for a larger audience to see. Is there a way to stop the stock browser from auto refreshing when you swap apps and such and then go back to it? Not only does it waste time to reload, but also seems like a useless waste of bandwidth.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I had that same problem on my Evo 3D. When I switched to the GNex I switched to using Chrome. It still does that a little, but it much better than the stock browser.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, my X2 has GB and I just opened the browser, went to Gmail, went back to browser, no refresh. So, it can't be a GB thing. You could try using a different browser, like jean suggested.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not ready to install another browser just yet. Partly because I'm just used to this one, and partly because now I'm just curious what's up. I know one sure fire way to run into this problem is to load a page, go back to home screen and make a call (on 3G so it kills data), and open the browser while on the phone. It always goes to the page not found notice for said webpage. Even using voice dial via Bluetooth so you don't actually close the browser first, backing out while on the call backs to the page not found notice.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Does it happen if you go back to the home screen, then go right back to your browser, or, does it only happen when you make a phone call? If it is only happening when you make a call, I guess it's some quirk with your data service being interrupted, and, I doubt there is really anything you can do about it.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It does both. If not on a call, going to home screen and back, I see the page load progress bar. So I know it is happening.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it does do that on my X2 (GB). I just had to borrow a phone from someone to confirm that (my Home button is broken). However, it doesn't do it on my Prime (ICS). So, once you get ICS, I would expect you wont have to worry about it anymore.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the problem a lot with my 3D when I'd have more than 2 tabs open. If I had 3 or 4 tabs open when I'd switch between them the page would have to reload. It almost seems like the browser didn't have enough cache to store everything. (Yes I had the cache set to the highest setting.) It got really annoying because I'd use multiple tabs all the time. It would really slow me down.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01