Options for syncing to PC

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering the purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 took a swim in the ocean. With the iPhone, I kept contacts and calendar in MS Outlook and used iTunes to sync them to phone. What are my options for syncing the Galaxy Nexus to my PC? Must I use gmail? I prefer to keep contacts and calendar on PC so that I can access them at all times even when I don't have an internet connection. Thanks
Pete

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
When you say contact and calender saved in outlook is there an email id associated with it?
or is it without email associated and just some contacts and calender in outlook?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
When you say contact and calender saved in outlook is there an email id associated with it?
or is it without email associated and just some contacts and calender in outlook?
No, there is no email associated with them.. I just use the contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes part of Outlook.Those are the items I wish to sync with phone. I use Thunderbird as my email client on PC. I would prefer to use a direct sync and avoid the cloud altogether. It would also be advantageous if I could sync with two different PCs.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would try it from home(outlook 2013 preview). It might not work with office 2013 since its still preview So, I tried it from work with outlook 2007 syncing all my work contacts to my Nexus.

I had to follow these steps, took me 10 min for initial setup Quick Start | Android-Sync | Sync Android with Outlook via USB
but after that its just a click away from sync.

I only enabled Calender since its easy to cleanup after syncing.
I disabled contacts and didn't try that at all due to the pain involved in cleaning up.

No issues for me so far!! It also automatically asked for adb drivers to be downloaded for the device at work. probably wouldn't have prompted at home since i already had the drivers at home PC.

btw, I tested it with windows 7 64 bit with Nexus Android 4.1/Jelly Bean.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would try it from home(outlook 2013 preview). It might not work with office 2013 since its still preview So, I tried it from work with outlook 2007 syncing all my work contacts to my Nexus.

I had to follow these steps, took me 10 min for initial setup Quick Start | Android-Sync | Sync Android with Outlook via USB

I disabled contacts and didn't try that at all due to the pain involved in cleaning up.

No issues for me so far!! It also automatically asked for adb drivers to be downloaded for the device at work. probably wouldn't have prompted at home since i already had the drivers at home PC.

Great, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to purchase the PC client to try it or is there some kind of trial period? Sounds pretty slick and simple; I like simple! I'm running Windows 7 (32 bit) with Outlook 2010. I do have another question. Does it use the native calendar and contact list on your phone or it built into the app?

Update: I just installed the PC client. I see that there is a trial version with limit of 20 sync entries? At least this way you get to see if it works.
Pete

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
its a trial version and i didnt purchase it. :) who would purchase a software for trying it out?? :)

As i said before i didnt try contacts but the calender can be synced with the default calendar and i assume the contacts will sync with default contacts as well. at least the screenshot they provide in the website says it is synced with default contacts.

I think i like this app...i might buy it too but i need to first check if it will work with office 2013 rtm when it releases.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
its a trial version and i didnt purchase it. :) who would purchase a software for trying it out?? :)

As i said before i didnt try contacts but the calender can be synced with the default calendar and i assume the contacts will sync with default contacts as well. at least the screenshot they provide in the website says it is synced with default contacts.

I think i like this app...i might buy it too but i need to first check if it will work with office 2013 rtm when it releases.
I have more good news. I wrote an email to them with a few questions and they have already answered. It's always nice to learn that there is some degree of support. I learned that a single license will allow the program to be installed on both of our PCs and used in conjunction with multiple devices.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I looked at that briefly, but couldn't make head nor tails out of their website. Apparently most details are in German. I did notice there is a discussion forum with an English section so maybe that's how you learn to install and use it? I do have a few basic questions:
1. With respect to Outlook, does it sync calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes?
2. On the phone, does it use the native Android calendar and contacts or its own?
3. Does it work with Outlook 2010 and Android 4.1?
4. Which phone are you using it with?​
Thanks
Pete

Last edited:

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I use Deja Office and it's companionlink software to syn outlook to my phone. It uses it's own contact / dialer and can sync notes, tasks, calendar, contacts, etc. It take some getting used to and some settings to figure out so you don't end up with duplicate contacts. I'd make a back up copy of outlook contacts before I started messing with it.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

As a near term solution I just exported a CSV file of calendar from Outlook 2010 and then imported it into Google calendar. In the longer term I hope to avoid using Google for contacts, calendar, etc. Anyway, the reminders didn't come through. The only reminders in Google were the defaults which apply to all events. Could you please tell me if the reminders came through in your test? This would be a make or break for me since I rely heavily on specific event-by-event reminders. Thanks
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'd like to get more feedback. So far I have investigated the following programs in a preliminary way (best is first):

1. Android-sync: USB only interface; uses native calendar and contacts on phone: nice website; trial version available; 60 day money back guarantee; responsive support; license includes 2 computers and multiple devices; no Google cloud required; cost $29.95
2. MyPhoneExplorer; USB, WiFi, and Bluetooth interfaces; German website; uses native calendar and contacts on phone; excellent reviews; cost: Free
3. gsyncit: Syncs Outlook to Google cloud; Limit one computer/license; trial version available; 15 day money back guarantee; not sure about Google cloud incompatibilities; cost $19.99 X 2​
Pete

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I looked at that briefly, but couldn't make head nor tails out of their website. Apparently most details are in German. I did notice there is a discussion forum with an English section so maybe that's how you learn to install and use it? I do have a few basic questions:
1. With respect to Outlook, does it sync calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes?
2. On the phone, does it use the native Android calendar and contacts or its own?
3. Does it work with Outlook 2010 and Android 4.1?
4. Which phone are you using it with?​
Thanks
Pete

I use MPE with an HTC Vivid on ICS (unrooted) to sync with Outlook 2003 on my PC to the stock calendar and contacts. Works great.

What you install on the phone is just a client in order to connect via USB or WiFi. You run the sync from the PC and it's fairly self-explanatory.

Here's the English site: www.fjsoft.at/en

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
:)
I use MPE with an HTC Vivid on ICS (unrooted) to sync with Outlook 2003 on my PC to the stock calendar and contacts. Works great.

What you install on the phone is just a client in order to connect via USB or WiFi. You run the sync from the PC and it's fairly self-explanatory.

Here's the English site: FJ Software Development
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if it can also sync Outlook tasks and notes? Also, when you sync the calendar do the reminders come through correctly? I ask because when I exported the calendar from Outlook to Google via CSV file, it lost the reminder values. I will try MPE first since it's free and has received tremendous reviews at Google Play. The reasons I put Android-Sync first is:
1. Great support via email
2. Syncs Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes
3. Good online documentation
4. License covers two PCs and multiple devices​

but of course, if I can figure out how to install and use MPE then that could be a winner:)
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Is your phone the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? If so, where did you find the USB drivers? I went to the Samsung site, but couldn't find the correct model?

Did you need to download any special drivers for the PC? My phone is scheduled to arrive today so I want to be ready:) Thanks
Pete

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
:)Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if it can also sync Outlook tasks and notes? Also, when you sync the calendar do the reminders come through correctly? I ask because when I exported the calendar from Outlook to Google via CSV file, it lost the reminder values. I will try MPE first since it's free and has received tremendous reviews at Google Play. The reasons I put Android-Sync first is:
1. Great support via email
2. Syncs Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes
3. Good online documentation
4. License covers two PCs and multiple devices​

but of course, if I can figure out how to install and use MPE then that could be a winner:)
Pete

Tasks, no. Reminders and notes, yes. You can also transfer files and backup your phone and SMS. I think this app is one of the best deals out there. I'm a huge fan.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Is your phone the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? If so, where did you find the USB drivers? I went to the Samsung site, but couldn't find the correct model?

Did you need to download any special drivers for the PC? My phone is scheduled to arrive today so I want to be ready:) Thanks
Pete
the software will download the drivers for you. you dont have to look for drivers . just connect the phone. the drivers are generic Nexus drivers from sdk i believe.
mine is samsung nexus s