Need advice on what phone to buy for T-Mobile, budget $200-300

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all. Lost my LG G2x, hoping someone can advise me on what phones fall within my budget as "used." The budget's $200-300, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Phone should be easily flashable and have a good track record. I wasn't all too happy about the Tegra 2's drivers not being "open" enough and easy to work with for the modders, and I hear that contributed to a less than optimal ICS experience. The phone also needs a good track record for reliability. The problem with the G2x was that even after rooting/flashing, I'd still get the occasional random reset. Great battery life is always a plus, but I tend to get extended batteries anyway.

The phone will run on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid plan.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for a new Nexus.

Buying a used T-Mobile phone is risky. The phone can get blacklisted after you buy it. It could take weeks or months, but its possible.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Need advice on what phone to buy for T-Mobile, budget $200-30

Errr, $350's a lot to spend though!

I've been so tempted to get a used Samsung Galaxy S Blaze for at least $100 cheaper!! :(:(

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Errr, $350's a lot to spend though!

I've been so tempted to get a used Samsung Galaxy S Blaze for at least $100 cheaper!! :(:(

why dont you try for a used Galaxy nexus??? you will get it for less than $300 for sure.
The reason why people ask you to go for Nexus is they have a huge developer base and support.

also with the latest update from Google its totally worth it.

also with Nexus you will have least issues when you flash custom roms because all binaries are released by google.

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

why dont you try for a used Galaxy nexus??? you will get it for less than $300 for sure.
The reason why people ask you to go for Nexus is they have a huge developer base and support.

also with the latest update from Google its totally worth it.

also with Nexus you will have least issues when you flash custom roms because all binaries are released by google.

Yeah, I've known about the Nexus. Pure Android experience with none the bloat nonsense. It has a proven record of reliability by now. It has pretty decent hardware for the price point. The short battery life is probably the only letdown really.

The price is the only major concern at this point. I could really benefit from saving that $100, but the risk of TMO essentially rendering the phone useless as someone else mentioned is still a real one!

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I tend to see it as a sliding scale between the two. I'm aware of the risk of a phone essentially being voided. The one other factor that's weighing in favor of the Blaze is the 42mbps capability. I know I won't get 42mbps in my area, but from what I've seen, the speeds I'm likely to get are still noticeably faster.

pipftr1

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am quite happy with my amaze, also shocked more people don't have it. Had it for 6-7 months with no problems. Camera can't be beat!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Nexus. It will remain up to date for quite a bit longer than any other phone out right now. Especially ones in your price range.
I have had the Verizon Nexus since launch day and there still isn't a phone out that I would trade it for... On any carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34