Scratched my new phone. Should I try to return?

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I scratched the screen on my new HTC One X within the 30-day return period.
The scratches are barely noticeable, light enough that I could probably return it.

How do you feel about trying to return it under these circumstances? I'm a little conflicted.

I feel like a bit of a dirtbag trying to return something I damaged.
Even if they do take it back, I'm sure that I won't be able to keep the new phone perfect forever.
Maybe it's better to just accept it now, rather than obsessing over perfection the entire time.
I bought it from a franchise (non-official) authorized retailer ATT store, so it's not exactly a faceless corporation.

on the other hand, I am looking at having this phone for 1-2 years. Worst case is they reject it, or charge me a restocking fee.

What are your thoughts?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well personally I would just keep it. If u are looking for perfection and ocd about a phone then no matter what u are going to notice every small blemish. One reason returns and cost of phones are so high is the return rate for minor problems like this. Just my 2c

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Frankly I say return it. The store is covered, believe me, and AT&T doesn't give a damn about you. Besides if you weren't obsessing over this, you'd be obsessing over something else, so you might as well take advantage of what you can. ;)

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The scratches are barely noticeable, light enough that I could probably return it.

How do you feel about trying to return it under these circumstances? I'm a little conflicted.

Even if they do take it back, I'm sure that I won't be able to keep the new phone perfect forever.
Maybe it's better to just accept it now, rather than obsessing over perfection the entire time.
I bought it from a franchise (non-official) authorized retailer ATT store, so it's not exactly a faceless corporation.

on the other hand, I am looking at having this phone for 1-2 years. Worst case is they reject it, or charge me a restocking fee.

What are your thoughts?

If its not ATT that you bought it from then I would keep it. Most of the time these franchises are small businesses and the economy needs these small businesses to survive.... at least that's my take on it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

What are your thoughts?

Just buy covers and live with it. Return policies are not there for consumers to get their used phones like new again.

Frankly I say return it. The store is covered, believe me, and AT&T doesn't give a damn about you. Besides if you weren't obsessing over this, you'd be obsessing over something else, so you might as well take advantage of what you can. ;)

This is why we pay so much.... Costs for this dumbfoolery are passed on to consumers. :thumbdown:

// AndroidCentral app on Nexus 7 //

Reactions: chubb

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

What are your thoughts?

you said its barely noticeable and light. so why return and don't be a douche because you scratched it. I don't understand how do you even scratch a Gorrila glass. are you sure its not a stain?

wear and tear do happen and no matter what you buy you will end out doing it anyway.

robthesixthree

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This so called "gorilla glass " is Crap. I had mine for not even a weak and never once dropped it and I have a nice scratch on my screen from a loose penny in my pocket. I refuse to compromise my user experience by putting a screen protecter on my phone that costs $25 bucks and peels away after a short period of time. I say return it, if they'll let you, as many times as you want in your 30 day period.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
you said its barely noticeable and light. so why return and don't be a douche because you scratched it. I don't understand how do you even scratch a Gorrila glass. are you sure its not a stain?

wear and tear do happen and no matter what you buy you will end out doing it anyway.

Actually, gorilla glass can be easily scratched by sand. there's a video out there of someone who did tests. Metal, drops, it can handle. Sand, even a few grains that somehow makes it into your pockets, can scratch it.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I was really surprised by my naked GNex when I tripped on rough cement steps slamming it screen-down to break my fall & then it slid with the weight of my body across the rough surface for a good foot or two...the only damage is a slight cosmetic scratch below the LED indicator.

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
well, bros, here's what ended up happening:

As if the universe was speaking to me, the phone randomly rebooted on its own. I remember when I initially tried the One X, I had a problem with it often rebooting on its own. So I called the store and told them that I might have a reboot problem, and they said they'd swap it out.

So the store gets to return the phone as defective, and I got a new phone. I also got a new full-screen screen protector. I was very conflicted over this, but it turned out for the best.

new phone, totally protected, and all is well.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Frankly I say return it. The store is covered, believe me
Bruce you (and the store) wish. Assuming an independent store agrees to take back a phone because you scratch it, they have to sell it as used (or use it themselves instead of taking a new one out of stock). They may be able to break even, but they're not "covered". Covered by whom? Their supplier? (I've never met a supplier who would take back a phone that was damaged by a customer, and phones don't come out of the box with scratched screens.) AT&T? You'd think they'd want to help the indies, but not to that extent usually. (Although reps have been known to do something like that sometimes.)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, gorilla glass can be easily scratched by sand. there's a video out there of someone who did tests. Metal, drops, it can handle. Sand, even a few grains that somehow makes it into your pockets, can scratch it.
thats why I dont understand why?? I have a Nexus S which is not even gorrila glass but a normal glass which scratches very easily and i have not had a single scrath. I have been using it for over a year and i have dropped it like 6-7 times. i have keys in my pocket and lately i also have access card with it. not even a single scratch.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard sharp particles will scratch glass. Soft round things like keys won't unless you really press hard as you try to scratch the glass. Dropping the glass will usually either shatter it or not, it won't scratch it.

bryann22

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

What are your thoughts?

i say take it back...and get a screen protector.I use my phone every hour lol, scratches drive me crazy...love my otterbox:D

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... I refuse to compromise my user experience by putting a screen protecter on my phone that costs $25 bucks and peels away after a short period of time.

:confused: For that much, i can get 3 crystal clear Boxwave covers, last a year or more, are washable, dont peel off, and you can hardly tell it's there.

Edit: there's definitely an art to putting on protectors, can take some time and patience, some brands needs 2-3 to practice and get it right. No matter, I find most of my protectors pick up nicks and scratches over the course of six to 12 months, and get replaced anyway.

Last edited:

bryann22

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
My screen protector has been on wayy over a year perfection still just dont buy crappy ones. Antiglare always works better IMHO

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just buy covers and live with it. Return policies are not there for consumers to get their used phones like new again.

This is why we pay so much.... Costs for this dumbfoolery are passed on to consumers. :thumbdown:

I agree with this. I got some small scratches on my GNEX after about 3 weeks w/o a screen protector. I could have returned it, but its my fault I got the scratches. I could have put a SP on it the day I bought it, but I didn't.(Emphasis on the I part). Since then I use a SP and don't obsess over it. The scratches are my fault, not the carrier or the manufacture's fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21