I'm switching over from iPhone 4 to Android Galaxy Nexus. Can anyone tell me what a good app is for uploading and downloading pics between the phone and a PC? I want to setup albums on phone too so that related pics are kept together. Thanks
    Pete
    09-04-2012 06:56 AM
    I use Google+ for photos and videos uploads and organize it in the web
    09-04-2012 09:04 AM
    Wait, you want to transfer files from the phone to the PC? If so, just use a USB cable.

Otherwise, web storage, like still1 said might be useful. Like still1, I upload my photos and store them in social media. I transfer originals from my phone to my PC, organize them into albums, then upload select quality photos to FB to share them.
    09-04-2012 09:46 AM
    I've been using Windows Explorer to copy pics and videos from iPhone to PC and then to Android phone. The date modified remains unchanged copying from iPhone to PC, but gets set to current date/time when copying to Android phone. We wish to preserve this info for help in sorting, identifying, etc. Anyone have any ideas on how to copy from PC to Android phone without changing date modified?
    Pete
    09-04-2012 09:22 PM
    When you copy them from PC to your Android, how are you doing it, VIA USB? Or to an SD card VIA a card reader? Try as many methods as you can. But, I can't think of anything other than try different ways. If I think of anything else, I'll letcha know. Good luck!!
    09-04-2012 09:50 PM
    I like dropbox.
    09-04-2012 10:15 PM
    When you copy them from PC to your Android, how are you doing it, VIA USB? Or to an SD card VIA a card reader? Try as many methods as you can. But, I can't think of anything other than try different ways. If I think of anything else, I'll letcha know. Good luck!!
    Thanks. The Galaxy Nexus does not have a removable SD card (although interestingly I'm using the following path to save my pics: /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/Camera/). I've been trying multiple ways and plan to continue as I discover more. So far here are some of the ones I've tried:
    1. USB using Windows Explorer in MTP (media device) mode
    2. USB using Windows Explorer in PTP (camera) mode
    3. WiFi using Airdroid
    4. WiFi using WiFi File Transfer

I've also tried more robust PC programs such as Robocopy and Richcopy in conjunction with USB, but they don't recognize the USB-attached phone. Turns out that when you attach the phone it doesn't get a drive letter and it doesn't show up under Network and thus, these programs can't see it. These programs have a switch to prevent time stamps from being changed, but without recognizing the phone that's not helpful.
    Pete
    09-05-2012 03:27 AM
    Gotcha. Well, if it worked from iPhone to PC, but, not PC to Android, it must be something funky with Android not liking to take that data from another OS. Do you have another Android device? I'd be curious what happens if you transfer a file from a different device. Maybe it just that particular device that has the issue. Maybe transferring files from another device to PC would retain that data. Just spitballing here.
    09-05-2012 08:41 AM
    Gotcha. Well, if it worked from iPhone to PC, but, not PC to Android, it must be something funky with Android not liking to take that data from another OS. Do you have another Android device? I'd be curious what happens if you transfer a file from a different device. Maybe it just that particular device that has the issue. Maybe transferring files from another device to PC would retain that data. Just spitballing here.
    Thanks. I just discovered what I think is the problem. The files actually got transferred to the Galaxy Nexus correctly, but the apps used to read the dates are showing the date of transfer rather than the date the pic or video was taken. I've just started using QuickPic and it shows the date taken and not the date of transfer. Seems that the problem is solved
    Pete
    09-05-2012 10:10 AM
    Cool. Glad to see that your issue is solved. Thanks for coming back and posting about it!!
    09-05-2012 10:20 AM
    Thanks. I just discovered what I think is the problem. The files actually got transferred to the Galaxy Nexus correctly, but the apps used to read the dates are showing the date of transfer rather than the date the pic or video was taken. I've just started using QuickPic and it shows the date taken and not the date of transfer. Seems that the problem is solved
    Pete
    thanks for posting that!!! good to know such issues exist with some apps.
    I have seen long ago about someone posting similar issue!!!

but now i can help someone who comes with this issue in future.
    09-05-2012 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD