how to completely remove google from android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmo4Sho

May 2, 2013
Visit site
"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."
"If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind if we come in and look around, will you?"

Which of these quotes is really from the Herr Schmidt?

sofort99

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
To anyone serious...

Don't let them tell you it can't be done. Most Android phones in China don't have google.

I've been running ROMs since CM7 without instaling Gapps. It works just fine.

As a matter of fact, that's the easiest way to do it, if you know what you are doing. Just flash CyanogenMod and then don't flash Gapps ( Google apps ). You have to find alternatives to Play store, but they are out there. Also, if you know what you are doing, just find a friend that wants you to root his phone for him, and then if something comes out on play you really, really want get him to download it for you and send you the APK and install it that way.

The other thing you can do is, root your phone, signup to google, download all the apps you want, backup the APKs, reset and do the above. If you make backups, it's no big deal to flash back and forth to get apps from the store. Flash Gapps, download, factory reset and format, reload and go.

Then, if what you want is to be safe, get a root permissions manager and kill permissions on apps they don't need and shouldn't have.

That said... I've was just searching for more info on how to make an android phone as secure as possible and it's been fun watching people (not nessesarilly these people) on the internet that had a cow over Carrier IQ have no problem at all with the idea that Android isn't just a platform for google spyware, it actually IS google spyware.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
To anyone serious...

Don't let them tell you it can't be done. Most Android phones in China don't have google.

I've been running ROMs since CM7 without instaling Gapps. It works just fine.

As a matter of fact, that's the easiest way to do it, if you know what you are doing. Just flash CyanogenMod and then don't flash Gapps ( Google apps ). You have to find alternatives to Play store, but they are out there. Also, if you know what you are doing, just find a friend that wants you to root his phone for him, and then if something comes out on play you really, really want get him to download it for you and send you the APK and install it that way.

The other thing you can do is, root your phone, signup to google, download all the apps you want, backup the APKs, reset and do the above. If you make backups, it's no big deal to flash back and forth to get apps from the store. Flash Gapps, download, factory reset and format, reload and go.

Then, if what you want is to be safe, get a root permissions manager and kill permissions on apps they don't need and shouldn't have.

That said... I've was just searching for more info on how to make an android phone as secure as possible and it's been fun watching people (not nessesarilly these people) on the internet that had a cow over Carrier IQ have no problem at all with the idea that Android isn't just a platform for google spyware, it actually IS google spyware.

It's only spyware if it doesn't tell you what it's doing. Google is very transparent (and therefore not spyware). In fact they are probably the most transparent of all tech companies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You do realize android is part of Google right? Everything is linked to Google. Maybe you should consider a non-android phone?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

sofort99

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
You do realize android is part of Google right? Everything is linked to Google. Maybe you should consider a non-android phone?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

As near as I can tell, AOSP sends anonymous version, device, carrier, and country to Google analytics through play store. Don?t register it to an account, and don?t install Gapps and what they can mine from your phone itself is limited.

theshortorc

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I can think of a ton of reasons to do this. Everyone is making fun of the OP needs to wake up. Google apps are constantly draining battery, sending data, and spying on you.
. It's perfectly reasonable to not want this crap

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There's actually a project going on over at xda called "nogapps", which would let you do what you want. It replaces all of googles apps with open source community built alternatives. However most of the apps are in beta, with only a few being actually stable.

And thanks to googles sneaky terms with the play store, they can't create an open source marketplace that, uses the same app servers as googles. So they are stalled with the market, however everything else works at least 70%. That includes all of the major features minus a few minor ones with some bugs to work out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
awesome, I had no idea so many people would get in on this! I have been un-branded for a while now, cheers! battery life is also increased!

solutionecho

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with you dude.... When StartMail is officially launched in early 2014, we will have an option for truly private email without Google and others, spying on us. I amst very interested in removing as many user / system apps as possible yet still being able to use a messenger, live streaming, email and making calls. Let them call you crazy for being conscious.

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
just saw this...yes I can still make calls with the google branded items removed, no account connected, or the possibility to do so! cheers

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just turn off Google account sync in Accounts & Sync. You shouldn't have to Frankenstein your phone to do that.

The fact that you're asking this and are ready to start deleting system files suggests to me that you should STOP.

I am not sure why so many people were advising against me... This topic was to obtain simple file names if anyone had tried before...I never asked them to modify their phones, or if I should have been trying with my own! google staff writing the negatives? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000