Can't connect phone to PC to run root application. Problem is only with my phone (LG Optimus s)

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section of the site. I have an LG Optimus S that I am trying to root, however I can't get it to connect to my PC. My brother has the same device and his connects fine right away to my system, however mine does nothing but charge when connected (used same drivers, PC, chord, etc.)

I tried restoring it to factory settings and no luck. Later took it to Sprint and he just re-updated the software and it connected right away to their PC. Then as soon as I got home it didn't connect again.

Also tried with my work laptop. His connects, mine doesn't. Could there be a reason why mine didn't work as soon as I got back from the store?

I made sure that the settings from by brothers phone matched mine and verified that the software is identical.

Thanks

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it set to the proper USB mode? Not sure what mode you are looking to utilize, but, check his and make sure they are the same. Sounds like yours is set to charge only. Tap the USB icon in the notifications area when you plug your phone into your computer.

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is. When turned on (orange colored droid guy) there is still no connection. When I turn USB on with his phone, the device appears as an external drive on the PC.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, dunno what to tell you. I guess if you can get your brother to go with you to the store, take the laptop, show it to them, then plug it into the laptop, and, if doesn't work, at least they can witness it with their own eyes. Worst case, it works, have them mark down the problem in your account, then if the issue happens again, it's documented and you can probably get a new phone (assuming you are under warranty of course).

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll probably do that. It isn't under warranty, but I'm prepared to pay the guys the $35 if it is a hardware issue that they can fix. They're nice and honest enough that it doesn't bother me.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, bit how long do you wait to see if it shows up as an external drive? Does his turn orange too? Sometimes my Bolt takes a bit to connect to one of my computers but shows up within 10-15 seconds on my other one.

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, bit how long do you wait to see if it shows up as an external drive? Does his turn orange too? Sometimes my Bolt takes a bit to connect to one of my computers but shows up within 10-15 seconds on my other one.

My brother's shows up almost instantly after turning orange. Mine however never does. I've left it connected overnight once and still nothing after 8 hours.

Just started a new job two weeks ago and haven't been able to take it into the store yet.

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you try what clodfelterac said?

I've tried multiple drivers. Like I said, I can see the connection when trying with my brother's phone.

I actually just took it to the store. It connected right away with the tech guy's one computer, but wouldn't with the other. (Same chord and drivers) They said they had no idea and said I could call when I wanted to to place an order for a replacement phone (refurbished) for $35. I'm considering doing that, but not sure if I should yet as I've always taken exceptional care of my phones and I'm a bit weary about getting another one that may be all scratched up or something.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Refurbs don't come scratched up. I have gotten many and they always come looking like new. But, that is from Verizon, can't say about other carriers. I would still think they come looking like new though.

If your phone isn't under warranty and they are going to give you a replacement for 35 bucks, that sounds like a good deal.

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Refurbs don't come scratched up. I have gotten many and they always come looking like new. But, that is from Verizon, can't say about other carriers. I would still think they come looking like new though.

If your phone isn't under warranty and they are going to give you a replacement for 35 bucks, that sounds like a good deal.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I actually have to check. They said to go through LG if it's still under a year (I think I got it around last Sept/Oct). If not under warranty though $35 does around reasonable. I'm happy with the phone otherwise, just wish I could connect it to root it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A scratched up refurb has its case (or that half of the case or the display) replaced.

When you get the refurb (don't get it sent to you, tell them to have it sent to them), bring in the laptop and make sure it connects. If not, just hand it back and let them reorder. (Otherwise you'll pay another $35 for the next replacement.)

It's not your computer, your driver or your cable - your brother's phone connects, so those possibilities are eliminated. And it's not something like a defective connector on your phone, since it connects to one of their computers. I'd guess it's some flaky software, but you'll probably never find out because they'll reflash the firmware and if that doesn't give them a working refurb it'll become landfill. Actually troubleshooting a problem like that costs them more than the phone costs them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49