How to create shortcuts in ICS for Motorola Atrix 2?

d2009t228

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have recently got an ICS update on my Motorola Atrix 2 in India. I have been using gingerbread for quiet a long and now suddenly everything has changed.

I have anyway explored almost all the changes in ICS. But I am still not able to find one feature which I really loved in gingerbread.

When I press and hold on empty part of home screen, a pop up comes up listing widgets, shortcuts, folders and wallpaper which is now replaced by wallpaper only. However, widgets can be still added after pressing menu key and selecting widgets tab. Folders can created by just dragging and dropping apps on one another.

But the most shocking part for me is that there is no way I can create a shortcut or at least I didn't find. I had pinned "catch" notes on my home screen in gingerbread which is not working anymore although the option is still there in the catch application.

Using Astro File Manager, I used to create my important folders from sd card as shortcuts on my home screen which is also not working any more. Please help me. Is there anything I am missing out or ICS for motorola atrix 2 doesn't have that feature?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In ICS, to create a shortcut for an app, just go to the app drawer, long press the app you want a shortcut for, and drag it to your home screen. This is also how you add widgets.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

d2009t228

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
@B. Diddy I am not talking about creating shortcuts for apps. That I know how to do. Please read my post properly. My problem is specific to creating shortcuts for files, folders, notes which are some part of different apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But the most shocking part for me is that there is no way I can create a shortcut or at least I didn't find. I had pinned "catch" notes on my home screen in gingerbread which is not working anymore although the option is still there in the catch application.

I thought I was reading this properly: you said "there is no way I can create a shortcut or at least I didn't find." Forgive me, but it was a little hard to understand your post completely.

You could try Total Commander, a 3rd party file explorer app that is free. It has a widget that can be a customized shortcut to any folder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

comnut

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
AFAICS, the OP has a folder full of his stuff, on the SD card - the one you plug in... :roll: :(.. (example! /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/lots of pix/xmas/xmas 2011/family/ )
- he wants a shortcut on the home screen, so that can be opened directly into the folder, not have to open the pic viewer, and have to navigate through many folders, to get to the pics wanted!!

- On my GS2 (gingerbread 2.3.3) on the 'add to home' menu, you tap 'shortcuts' to get a list of 'shortcut capable' apps.. I have Astro, X-plore and file manager by rhythm soft = I just select one, and it shows its own menu for choosing what folder..

If you have any of these apps, please can you see how ICS does it?? :)

comnut

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
no one here???? I had chance to experiment on my friends ICS... he has Go Launcher, that makes widget creation a bit easier, so you longpress on a screen, then move along the bottom row of icons, and should find a 'shortcut' one! It works with file manager.. :)