Rooting and general questions.

epurcell5023

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
hello all,

So i'm new to the android world, but I love it already. I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered. I'm currently using the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D.
1) is there a way besides rooting to get rid of apps that were pre-installed on my phone?
2) if I root my phone, what will it allow me to do, and will it make the phone easier or harder to use?
3) am I the only one using this phone that has issues with the time not setting itself correctly? I currently have to manually set the time and so when I go on facebook the time is an hour behind.

Thanks for the help!

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
welcome... i believe rooting is the way to go... ill allow you to customize your phone as you see fit, amongst a myriad of other pros that far out weigh anything that may be considered a con... i will always root my devices... once you taste the freedom, youll understand... just please, please, please research and read up on anything you dont understand before you attempt it... knowledge is priceless... lol, and knowing, is half the battle... ;-)
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers
Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Development - xda-developers

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is the only way to remove bloatware/unwanted apps on your device. If you don't have the uninstall option with a certain application when you pull it up in Settings/Apps/Manage Apps then rooting is your only option to remove it.

shadorski

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Im trying to root my Galaxy S GTI9000 running GINGERBREAD 2.3.5 . All my attempts to root the phone have failed. In the recovery menu iv noticed an error at the bottom in yellow saying, 'cant access to /system/csc/TGY/system' . so whenever I try to root the phone the operation aborts giving a 'E: signature can not be verified' error. Please help

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is the only way to remove bloatware/unwanted apps on your device. If you don't have the uninstall option with a certain application when you pull it up in Settings/Apps/Manage Apps then rooting is your only option to remove it.

just a side not to OP ICS and above have the option to disable app. It wont remove it but wont be visible anywhere except the app section in settings.
but i believe Ace is still in Gb so its not an option.

---------- Post Merged at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:02 AM ----------

Im trying to root my Galaxy S GTI9000 running GINGERBREAD 2.3.5 . All my attempts to root the phone have failed. In the recovery menu iv noticed an error at the bottom in yellow saying, 'cant access to /system/csc/TGY/system' . so whenever I try to root the phone the operation aborts giving a 'E: signature can not be verified' error. Please help

what method are you trying? have you searched for other method to root your phone?
dont think that there is only one method. just do a google search for rooting samsung galaxy s

shadorski

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Iv tried the one click method and the update method where you drop the update in the root of the phone and update from the recovery menu

epurcell5023

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
welcome... i believe rooting is the way to go... ill allow you to customize your phone as you see fit, amongst a myriad of other pros that far out weigh anything that may be considered a con... i will always root my devices... once you taste the freedom, youll understand... just please, please, please research and read up on anything you dont understand before you attempt it... knowledge is priceless... lol, and knowing, is half the battle... ;-)
Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Development - xda-developers

So, if I do root my phone, it will still function like normal, I will just have the ability to customize it more than what I can now ... like I don't have to command prompt everytime I want to do something? And I can still access the play-store no issues? It pretty much sounds like jailbreaking the iTouch (which I did, and it was rather simple.)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
So, if I do root my phone, it will still function like normal, I will just have the ability to customize it more than what I can now ... like I don't have to command prompt everytime I want to do something? And I can still access the play-store no issues? It pretty much sounds like jailbreaking the iTouch (which I did, and it was rather simple.)

There are 2 different things to understand here: rooting and flashing a ROM.

All rooting does is give you access to protected folders in your file system. Everything, including the Play Store, will function the same. You won't necessarily have the ability to customize it anymore than you do now, with the exception of removing system (i.e. protected) apps, and running apps that require root access (for example, Titanium Backup).

Flashing a custom ROM basically installs a completely new operating system on your phone. (Rooting is the first step to flashing a ROM.) You can completely change how your phone looks and works. There are usually lots of different ROM options for most phones and most ROMs are much more customizable than stock software. Again the Play Store still works, but when you're flashing custom ROMs you're opening up the door for app incompatibility and app instability.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooting an Android phone and jailbreaking an iPhone are basically the same thing - it gives you (or certain apps) root access to the operating system.

epurcell5023

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
There are 2 different things to understand here: rooting and flashing a ROM.

All rooting does is give you access to protected folders in your file system. Everything, including the Play Store, will function the same. You won't necessarily have the ability to customize it anymore than you do now, with the exception of removing system (i.e. protected) apps, and running apps that require root access (for example, Titanium Backup).

Flashing a custom ROM basically installs a completely new operating system on your phone. (Rooting is the first step to flashing a ROM.) You can completely change how your phone looks and works. There are usually lots of different ROM options for most phones and most ROMs are much more customizable than stock software. Again the Play Store still works, but when you're flashing custom ROMs you're opening up the door for app incompatibility and app instability.

Okay, do you happen to have a link that will show me how to just root my phone, I've seen links and videos that include flashing, and that's not what I am looking to do, I just want to be able to get rid of the apps that I have no need for.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay, do you happen to have a link that will show me how to just root my phone, I've seen links and videos that include flashing, and that's not what I am looking to do, I just want to be able to get rid of the apps that I have no need for.

I'm not familiar with that phone. It's always best to ask in a forum dedicated to the phone you're using because most rooting methods, ROMs, kernals, and pretty much anything else hacking related is very device specific. I was going to refer you to the Android Central forum for your phone, but AC doesn't seem to have a forum for the Galaxy Ace.

I searched on XDA, and they have a Galaxy Ace forum under "Legacy & Low Activity Devices". Hopefully you can find the info there or there's enough activity to get your questions answered.

I kinda hate to refer a noob (no offense) to XDA, because it's not always the most noob friendly place. AC is a community for everyone. XDA is a community of developers and hackers, so sometimes their guides aren't written at an introductory level. But it's the largest developer community on the web, so if there's anywhere to find an answer it would be there.

Here's a link: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers

epurcell5023

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that phone. It's always best to ask in a forum dedicated to the phone you're using because most rooting methods, ROMs, kernals, and pretty much anything else hacking related is very device specific. I was going to refer you to the Android Central forum for your phone, but AC doesn't seem to have a forum for the Galaxy Ace.

I searched on XDA, and they have a Galaxy Ace forum under "Legacy & Low Activity Devices". Hopefully you can find the info there or there's enough activity to get your questions answered.

I kinda hate to refer a noob (no offense) to XDA, because it's not always the most noob friendly place. AC is a community for everyone. XDA is a community of developers and hackers, so sometimes their guides aren't written at an introductory level. But it's the largest developer community on the web, so if there's anywhere to find an answer it would be there.

Here's a link: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers

Thank you, I was on their site and they are not very noob friendly, and that's okay ... i'm content being a noob at things haha.

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
xda is an excellent forum for gaining knowledge... the users may not be quite as sociable or as quick to respond (if at all), as ac, but a good site nonetheless to school yourself on some things that cant be found here... the links i posted previously all lead to the forum at xda for the users device... i browsed it myself and there is more than enough info available to get the job done... and on a side note, in laymans terms, rooting give you control of your device (for the most part)... obviously theyll be providing the signal/data/service, but rooting will get rid of carrier iq, allow you to flash custom roms to your device (ie: gb, ics, jb, in varoius flavors, cm7,cm9,cm10,aosp,aokp,miui,gummy,etc.) it allows you to customize you rom to your liking (ie: apps/themes/etc.)... and if you do the research, youll learn how to mod/tweak roms to your preferences... keep researching, and youll learn how to devlop your own custom roms... then its up to you, your imagination, and your technical ability... im confident that youll get it with proper time set aside to research the knowledge required to preform any of the above... some take the easy route, others are hungry for knowledge and want to make something special, whether it be for personal use or to share with the community... it all comes down to how much effort/time the end user is willing to put in... best of luck to all users in you android adventures... :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae