Changing file associations

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of FLV format movies on my phone that play fine with the MX Player video app. The problem is, they are not associated with the player. For some reason, they were auto associated with ZA Archiver (winzip type app), so clicking on the vids in my file explorer triggers that app instead. Plus it opens to ZA's browser, meaning I'd have to browse to the vids again to try and open. At that point, ZA then asks what program I want to open them with. Clearing data on ZA didnt' work (How I thought you could remove file type associations), and uninstalling it removed all associations with the movies. It then just gives me an error that the files cannot be opened.

Is there any way I can force FLV's to always open in MX Player? I know I could use MX's built in browser to get to them as well, but just a personal preference thing that I want to use the stock file explorer.

On a Droid Bionic running ICS 232 leak

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings->Apps, and find ZA Archiver. Tap on it, and scroll down to "Launch by Default." Tap "Clear Defaults." The next time you select a video to view, it will prompt you for what to view it with, and give you the option of making it the default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try clearing defaults in any app that might open media, llike MX Player, any browsers and file managers, etc.

A workaround would be to convert the FLV files to something a little more conventional, like mp4. There's a good freeware program for the PC called Freemake Video Converter that works very well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try clearing defaults in any app that might open media, llike MX Player, any browsers and file managers, etc.

A workaround would be to convert the FLV files to something a little more conventional, like mp4. There's a good freeware program for the PC called Freemake Video Converter that works very well.
I may try that at some point. I've just never had much luck with converting video formats in the past.

Didn't work, but judging by some of the reviews, that app isn't all that great and doesn't always set defaults like it should. Not to mention all the full screen ads in it that the developer claimed to have removed. DX

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Freemake Video Converter works very well, so give it a try, since it's free!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Ahmad Salman1

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I accidentally selected always open for a wrong player while opening video from Facebook. I tried to clear defaults from all the video players installed but nothing worked. Finally I found out that Facebook opens videos through GALLERY application. So after clearing defaults of gallery app choice of video players is back. My phone is on Jelly Bean.

nycpaulie

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I installed Default App Manager Pro and tried associating epub and mobi... choosing epub the app found Nook which I chose (always), but selecting mobi the app found nothing, (and Kindle works with mobi files)... anyway I rebooted to make sure and when I clicked on an epub file I still got the error msg I mentioned earlier, so the DefAppMgrPro app does nothing for me.... got a refund. But, hey, thanks for suggesting it. This is not good... I may dump the Galaxy and go back to iPad (mini)... also have a HUGE issue with battery use. The iPad Mini charge lasts SO much longer.

MrWiretap

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
One of the quickest ways to fix this (don't need to go into settings, good solution for basic users)
go to play store and search for the type of app/file program you are using. e.g. video
then choose an app that looks suitable e.g. VLC
Once installed try re-opening the file - notice all the options return
Now either choose the new app or a different app e.g. Gallery or Photos
and now the video should work & your association problem fixed too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae