How can I promote my game? Any help is appreciated!

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: How can I promote my game? Any help is appreciated.

@Va1ha11a and still1
I have tried. let's see how successful I will be :)

@badbrad17
Devinator is right. It is below in my signature.

I think the android market (not only Google Play) is extremely unfair for independent developers.

I'm interested in getting into the dev business, but I'm a little concerned now that you've said GP is unfair. Could you elaborate? I'm honestly trying to figure out what the best way to go about this is. I think The AC mod crew is generally very happy to support independent devs, especially those who have active accounts here. Don't worry if they haven't responded, they probably get a lot of PMs and have to sift through them. Wait a few more days and than try a different member.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I think The AC mod crew is generally very happy to support independent devs, especially those who have active accounts here. Don't worry if they haven't responded, they probably get a lot of PMs and have to sift through them. Wait a few more days and than try a different member.

Mods or Devs?

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

If it helps any, I downloaded it and I think its a good game. And i am keeping it on my phone. Cheers!

Motorola Photon 4G

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

@Va1ha11a
In general, android market is unfair. I but I have seen games that I can make in 10 minutes booming in less than a week, while I have spent about 500 dollars so far on this game leaving me nothing to live till the end of the month, and still seeing no big difference. If you are a corporate or you have sponsors, of course you will push your app easily (well in their case the app is also good usually). But if you are independent, it is only the matter of luck. And I mean pure luck. So no matter how much effort you put on your app, you have to wait and wish to be seen, and really get frustrated when you see some apps that are above you in the search or have higher downloads.

@Devinator
That's a good question. Should I ask mods or devs if I want the app to be considered?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Putting this here so I can find it later. Will have a good look at it in the daylight :)

Sent from my LG P960 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

@Devinator
That's a good question. Should I ask mods or devs if I want the app to be considered?

^ I think it's safe to say you've been noticed, lol.

I'm not sure what Val meant, lol. If he doesn't answer, try PMing him and ask him to clarify.

@Va1ha11a
In general, android market is unfair. I but I have seen games that I can make in 10 minutes booming in less than a week, while I have spent about 500 dollars so far on this game leaving me nothing to live till the end of the month, and still seeing no big difference. If you are a corporate or you have sponsors, of course you will push your app easily (well in their case the app is also good usually). But if you are independent, it is only the matter of luck. And I mean pure luck. So no matter how much effort you put on your app, you have to wait and wish to be seen, and really get frustrated when you see some apps that are above you in the search or have higher downloads.

@Devinator

I think that is relatively accurate. But, I think the harder you push your app, the more likely it is to succeed. I mean, if you make an app, and, don't promote it, it's never going to succeed, no matter how lucky you are. But, the more you promote it, the more likely you are to get that lucky break. That's not to say that someone couldn't make an app, promote it once, and have it be the next Angry Birds. But, I'd say that's a lot less likely to happen than it would for someone that is actively trying like you are, ya know?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Hey just thought I would give you a shout out now that I had a bit of time to play your game. I think you have done a great job. Very fun and excellent options. I like the games that allow you to kill time for a few minutes here and there and this is great for that.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

@badbrad17
Thank you! I'm happy you have enjoyed.

@Devinator
Yes, I have been noticed :) And I agree. I have learned that you should be persistent. I just wanted to know if I am promoting the right app.

Last edited:

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

. . .
Also the how to play didn't make too much sense until after I started playing. I would play a little animation or describe each step with words.
. . .
The only real problem I had is sometimes the ball I shoot and the balls on the screen would freeze. I could still hit the pause/play buttons but those don't do anything. After some time it unfroze without me doing anything, and I know it's not the speed of my phone.
. . .

I have made completely descriptive pictures for the How-to-Play. Also, I think I have found the reason for the problem you mentioned. I think it is because two calls to the physics calculation overlap, so they mess up. I had that taken care of and actually made the game noticeably smoother (to the extent you feel you have lost your skill the first time you play now). However I'm not sure if I will update it soon. Because the changes I have made are so critical that might come with bugs. So I prefer to test it with more devices before putting an update. But you will like the next update for sure.

Apart from these changes, I have asked for a few reviews and let's see how it goes. I would appreciate any further suggestions on how to promote the game.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I was playing it last night, and, I like it even more now, it's a lot of fun, and, I think it has a lot of potential. I forget how far I got, but, I know I was past level 10 before I lost. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

One suggestion I would make is you add something like a "OH $@%T' button. So that when there are lots of slimes close to the bottom of the screen, you could press this button and all slimes near the line are destroyed. Something like 1/3 the distance from the line to the top of screen, all slimes in that zone would get destroyed. It gets frustrating when there are slimes on the left and the right and they are close to the line. I felt like I was just keeping them above it, but, couldn't get rid of them. The button I am talking about could maybe be activated by a meter being filled. The meter could get filled a little each time you destroy a slime, something like that. It's a pretty common gimmick in games like this, and, I think it would be something worth considering.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

Well, that's a cool idea. I call it Atomic Bomb! I will for sure do it in future updates. But I have to think it up carefully. Because I don't want to make the game too easy just yet as I still haven't finished designed the levels completely. I know some people who have already finished the game (35 levels at the moment). This is bad because once you finish, you begin to get bored and if it is easy, you finish. The next update will be 43-45 and the one after that probably the full level set. So I will keep the cool stuff like the one you said, after the game has enough backbone.

How to make the game easy the way it is: Earn 35 slime points (which I'm sure you have already earned) and pick the Power perk. Remember that each time you start the game it will charge you 35. So once you are skilled enough to get past 12-13, you are ready to pick this perk, and go for higher levels. It is so strong that you can earn all the points back, with some extra. I will put the updated version info in the Games section. So if you are interested, we can continue discussing the game there.

Currently, I am scared to put the next version up. Because there are a lot of changes "behind the stage", so you know, crash-prone! I will update after I have tested it with as many devices as I can. I have been playing with intention to break for the past few days.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Well, that's a cool idea. I call it Atomic Bomb! I will for sure do it in future updates. But I have to think it up carefully. Because I don't want to make the game too easy just yet as I still haven't finished designed the levels completely. I know some people who have already finished the game (35 levels at the moment). This is bad because once you finish, you begin to get bored and if it is easy, you finish. The next update will be 43-45 and the one after that probably the full level set. So I will keep the cool stuff like the one you said, after the game has enough backbone.

How to make the game easy the way it is: Earn 35 slime points (which I'm sure you have already earned) and pick the Power perk. Remember that each time you start the game it will charge you 35. So once you are skilled enough to get past 12-13, you are ready to pick this perk, and go for higher levels. It is so strong that you can earn all the points back, with some extra. I will put the updated version info in the Games section. So if you are interested, we can continue discussing the game there.

Currently, I am scared to put the next version up. Because there are a lot of changes "behind the stage", so you know, crash-prone! I will update after I have tested it with as many devices as I can. I have been playing with intention to break for the past few days.

Lol. Yea, I mean, it was just a thought, I have only played twice, so, maybe I'll get better at managing that situation I mentioned. Yea, you'd have to implement it carefully, so, as not to make it to easy.

Ohhh, I didn't know there were things to purchase, lol. Either it's not clear, or, I didn't pick up on it. Yea, sure, PM me the thread and we can talk more there. I have another idea regarding the power ups, so, once you have the thread, let me know, and, I'll put it there.

Lol. Well, I have an X2, so, if you want me to test it briefly, I can.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

It is very strange! In the past few days I put posts in some communities driving some attention to the game. As a result, the number of downloads/keepers/reviews of the game have drastically increased. However, the game keeps going further down in the search. It is quite annoying how Google algorithms are kicking me out of the market.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! However, Google Play search algorithm is very weird. I have to look for alternatives and stop watching my game go to next page and next page every week. And I'm still working on making the game more shiny and intriguing. But I guess that shouldn't be the case according to ratings.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to hear that, but, I'm glad to hear that you are getting more traffic. I have yet to mess with the current update, but, once I do, I'll be sure to review it.

annahid

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

Oh by the way the reason for ratings is I just put the rate button in the game. Can't believe it helps to this extent. Currently traffic is very bursty. If I don't drive any traffic to cause a burst, I get something between 0-2 downloads a day, which cannot even compensate the 6-10 uninstalls. I am working on renovating the interface again. It is really fun!

By the way do you still have troubles (power outages and stuff like that) over there?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to know if someone has not rated it yet? If so, can you prompt them every X amount of levels to rate the game if they haven't? Just a thought.

Well, good, glad you are at least enjoying it, lol.

No power yet, supposed to be getting it back tonight. Fingers crossed. My computer misses me and I think it's jealous that I was using all my Android devices, lol. Thanks for your concern!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer