Help! Can't boot into recovery, cannot figure out how to access phone

rdb_522

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I've been trying to track down a solution to my problem, but every solution seems to contain a "Boot into recovery mode" line which I cannot do. I attempted to update a rom that I had installed, and now I am stuck at the google logo with the unlock icon. I cannot boot into recovery with the volume keys and power, and now I cannot figure out how to use adb to recover the phone, as it cannot recognize it.

Is there anyway I can access this phone while it is in this state from my computer and recover it somehow. I tried following leads that people have posted in other threads, but it seems like most suggestions involve "Use adb", yet every adb tutorial involves the phone being in recovery mode. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers via Wug's Toolkit, but when I plug my phone in, I am not able to install the drivers properly. I try to run adb items through the console, yet it does not recognize my device.

Is there anyway to install the necessary software I need and recover my phone while I cannot get past the google logo screen?
Edit: I am using a verizon galaxy nexus
Thank you so much for your help

Last edited:

pacav69

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi rdb_522

I guess that you have the necessary files to run adb.
I will assume that you are running windows 7.

After plugging in your phone there should be a USB icon in the tray or a message displaying that it is installing the drivers.
If the necessary drivers are not installed then you can access the device manager and see if there are any icons with a yellow triangle and ! mark in it indicating that there is a problem.
You can also download the drivers from samsung support site here

Here are instructions to install verizon-twrp-recovery-custom-recovery
How to flash TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515
Follow the procedures as you may have missed something in getting to the installation stage of ROMS.

Here is some information on unlocking the bootloader:
Commemorate The Galaxy Nexus’ Release By Unlocking The Bootloader | TalkAndroid.com

pacav69

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The procedures for installing ROMS are basically as follows:

1. Unlock the boot loader:
This varies with each phone some may not need it but it appears that HTC phones do need this.

2. Install TWRP Recovery or Clockwork Mod Recovery ROM:
These Recovery ROMS allow the installing of zip update files, backup and restore of the complete phone.
It is highly recommended that once that one of these Recovery ROMs are in place is to do a backup before proceeding with an upgrade or flashing of a new ROM in the event that there is a problem you can goto the recovery mode and do a restore and this will restore the phone to its current state.
There are specific files for each phone you will need to do a search.

3. Push New ROM: Depending on the phone either push the new ROM to the phone using ADB or copy the file to SDCARD.

4. Clear all cache: Clear all cache removes and temp files that may cause interference with a new ROM.

5. Installing the ROM: do a reset to recovery mode and select update from zip file this will install the new ROM or updates.

6. Reboot: Once all the files have be installed then a reboot is required.

Some additional information:

To put a phone in recovery mode
On HTC it is done by pressing down the volume rocker in the down position and pressing the power button at the same time and waiting until it boots into a white screen for menu selection

On a galaxy Siii it is done by pressing down the volume rocker in the down position, pressing the power button and the home button at the same time and waiting until it boots.

Last edited:

rdb_522

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your help so far,

I have the Samsung drivers installed, unfortunately the phone tries to install "MTP Device" drivers which it cannot do. It always ends with :"device cannot start" no matter how I go about trying to install the driver for it. I suppose without that, the computer will never be able to recognize it in its current state. Even then, I couldn't get it into recovery mode, which that tutorial you linked to states I will need to do.

All I did was try to update to a newer version of vicious mod using rom manager, I didn't expect that I'd permanently brick my phone doing so.
Thanks for the help so far, but I can't see how I can fix this if I can't get past the google logo screen and cannot install drivers for the computer to recognize it.

Edit: Brought it to my local verizon store and they were able to get it into download mode somehow (He said he plugged it into a wall power source, but I don't see how that has anything to do with it, and I couldn't recreate it), but during the course of a reset, it restarted and did the same thing. They are overnighting me a new one, so I guess my problem is fixed. There may have been a hardware component to the problem, thank you for the help.

Last edited:

pacav69

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
No problem about helping you out that is what i do as part of my daily life fixing and helping others with their technical problems.

I guess that was a major problem if there was hardware error that would explain why the drivers would not install and you were unable to get into download mode.

I had something similar with a flash drive were it was working one day and then the next it was not. The main cause was not ejecting the USB via windows which caused the flash ram to fry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL