Google Sync- will it mess everything up?

groundkontrol

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've heard some horror stories about Google Sync so I wanted to find out if the problems have been fixed. I am about to switch from a Blackberry Curve 8330 to a Droid Incredible. Currently I have a ton of contacts (phone numbers only) in my address book on my Blackberry. I also have fastf ood places and other services (for example "Tony's Pizza"). Now, in my Gmail account I have a ton of email contacts (emails addresses only). Some of these gmail contacts are also phone contacts but not all of them obviously. When I do Google Sync now with my Blackberry, will it combine all of these into one list on both my phone and Gmail. So if I log into Gmail on a computer will "Tony's Pizza" show up in my contacts (I would not want this). Also, will the duplicate entries (Steve Smith with a gmail address, and Steve Smith with only a phone number) combine into one entry. I ask all of these because I want all my contacts to be set up 100% before I sync with my new incredible.

Also, what if I tell Verizon to move all my numbers over to my Incredible. Will that cause any issues with syncing?

fischb22

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
With the google sync, their is no need to have vzn move the contacts, this is my second droid, all I had to do was setup the sync, and redownload the apps from the market(go to downloads tab in market, all my apps were their, just needed to install)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
any advice from someone that switched over from a Blackberry to an Android and used Google Sync?

I personally was not fond of the results of Google Sync from my BlackBerry. It messed up a lot of my on-device contacts and then replicated the results in my Google contacts (which was originally empty). I don't blame that on the BlackBerry or Google though since they just both simply have different contact organization implementation methods. After the syncing was done, I uninstalled Google Sync and then manually cleaned up the contacts in my Google Contacts. Then once my Nexus One synced them up, everything was perfect and has been since. It's definitely a lot quicker than just manually putting your contacts into Google from scratch so I do recommend it. I am just so ridiculously anal regarding how my contacts are set up so I put extra aggravation on myself.

groundkontrol

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I personally was not fond of the results of Google Sync from my BlackBerry. It messed up a lot of my on-device contacts and then replicated the results in my Google contacts (which was originally empty). I don't blame that on the BlackBerry or Google though since they just both simply have different contact organization implementation methods. After the syncing was done, I uninstalled Google Sync and then manually cleaned up the contacts in my Google Contacts. Then once my Nexus One synced them up, everything was perfect and has been since. It's definitely a lot quicker than just manually putting your contacts into Google from scratch so I do recommend it. I am just so ridiculously anal regarding how my contacts are set up so I put extra aggravation on myself.

I assume contacts with only phone numbers (restaurants for example) get put into Gmail as well?

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I found it fairly nice. I did get alot of duplicates ect, but once you sync it go into Gmail from your Blackberry, click contacts, then select "find duplicates" or whatever its called on the right. It will merge them all nice and neat, then you are ready to setup the android phone and it will pull all the info down to the phone.

From then on out it will always be synced to your gmail (unless you turn it off).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy