Total noob question: What does a custom ROM do?

Jochen K.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've been reading a lot about Cyanogen Mod and others, but apparently everyone but me knows exactly what they are and do, so that's never explained.

Just what DOES CM, for example, do to an Android phone?

More free memory? More speed? Can the phone fly? ....;)

Regards,

Jochen

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
its an OS. just like how you install windows 7 on a PC if it came with windows xp on it.

CM try to get the latest OS for a number of phones. for example some phones dont even get ICS for their phone but CM will build ICS or jelly bean OS for these devices.

They also add features to the stock android. its faster because they dont have skin/ is stock.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it's basically a customized version of Android. CM is pretty stripped down when you get it. Carrier bloatware is gone. I just checked on my GTAB7 and I have 21 apps installed. The only app I added to it after I installed CM was Play.

No, the phone can't fly, but, you will most likely see improved speed and battery life.

knownsense

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Frenz

Just a little doubt.

I am new to rooting, in fact new to Android itself such that I don't even own a Android yet. However, just deciding between SGS 2, HTC Desire X and SG Advance.

The doubt is that can v install a latest Android Version onto an old Android device running cupcake (assuming the hardware permits)?

Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Frenz

Just a little doubt.

I am new to rooting, in fact new to Android itself such that I don't even own a Android yet. However, just deciding between SGS 2, HTC Desire X and SG Advance.

The doubt is that can v install a latest Android Version onto an old Android device running cupcake (assuming the hardware permits)?

Thanks
well, pretty much those cupcake devices wont have roms for the latest version. devs wont support it since its old.

mostly all popular devices can run the latest version. if you have a Nexus pretty much all devs support it and will get latest version for a long time.

knownsense

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So which of the three devices will facilitate me rom support from developers for longer? Which one should i buy?

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So which of the three devices will facilitate me rom support from developers for longer? Which one should i buy?

Out of the three devices you mentioned, S2 would probably facilitate more rom support from developers but at the same time, currently galaxy nexus is the one that has the major support since it is a google brand but would not advise getting it since it's been over a year and Nexus 4 is coming out very soon.

knownsense

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Shkim698 and still1,

I dropped Samsung Galaxy Advance and HTC Desire X and was confused between HTC One S and SGS2. Finally got my favourite. So...SGS2 is my first android. Hope it will be a learning company. Your advices helped a lot freinds.

Thanks frenz

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Shkim698 and still1,

I dropped Samsung Galaxy Advance and HTC Desire X and was confused between HTC One S and SGS2. Finally got my favourite. So...SGS2 is my first android. Hope it will be a learning company. Your advices helped a lot freinds.

Thanks frenz
I think you made a safe choice from your options. The SGSII had its share of bugs but overall the development community has been good to the device. I still have quite a few friends rocking the SGSII and they are very happy with it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Shkim698 and still1,

Thanks frenz
glad you could make a decision. but i want to put in front of you one more device which will get tremendous support for at least 2-3 years.

Nexus 4. its releasing in few days. its cheap at only $299 or $349. faster processor,best design, and the best Android yet. take a look but the final decision is up to you.
Nexus 4 review -- Engadget

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Shkim698 and still1,

Thanks frenz

Congrats on your first android!! I currently have a Galaxy Nexus but I would also love to have S2 on the side! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon