Android Abroad

wlawton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, my name is Wes. I've put off getting a smartphone for a long time, since I am a college student and I haven't seen paying for a data plan as worth it to me so far. I've always loved Apple products (especially because of the great app support) but Android seems to clearly be the best mobile operating system - the most important part of any phone. So, unless something surprising comes out in the next several months, I'll probably be getting a Nexus 4 at my next upgrade.
Here's my question: I am planning to teach overseas for two years starting next fall (2013), probably in either China or South Korea. How crippled would an Android phone, especially Nexus 4, be over there? Again, I'm completely new to Android as well as completely new to using smartphones abroad, so if the answer to this question is obvious, I apologize. I know that iPhone is a pretty strong force globally - especially in China compared to other phones. I know nothing about the Android world.
The more details I could get, the better. I use Chrome and Gmail and Google Voice, and I'm somewhat familiar with Google Talk, but are these services as useful in China or South Korea as they are here in the U.S.?

Thank you.