Where does Android store Google Play music files

Airfluff22

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I figured something out the other day. :)
So, I have a LG motion (now rooted but I doubt that had anything to do with it) and in the settings of google play music I have cache during playback checked and storage is set to external. The music I bought DOES show up in the before mentioned folders (android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music or cache or something) but ONLY after I've listened to the ENTIRE song already. And it only has numbers in the title (also like previously mentioned). It's saving it as cache as the song is playing for future use. But if you wait to long to get it or your cache is cleaned by some other app or something it'll disappear. Oh, And I may have told it to keep on device too. (Prob most definitely did.. ) Cut, paste, and rename people and I would do it not too long after listening to it. ;-)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just found out that you can download the EACH SONG TWICE to your computer through the website on your computer.

Welcome to Android Central! That's true, so if you download it once, it's a good idea to keep it safe somewhere on your local hard drive, in case you ever use up the download limit.

You can always download your entire library an unlimited number of times, but it has to be the entire library all at once (which can be huge). This can be done using the Google Music Manager program on your computer.

See this guide for more info on managing music: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-getting-started-android-2014-part-ii.html

silverbullet37

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
That would explain why the music folder does not show up. I got away from apple because of that bull. I guess Android is no better. My phone is still under warranty. LG G2. I'll wait till its out of warranty to root it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But Android is still better in that regard. You can download any track from your Google Music library to your computer, then transfer it to your phone's internal storage or external SD card. Can't do that with the iPhone. The limitation for Google Music is that you can't download the track directly to your phone for manipulation. I consider this Google's soft way of discouraging music piracy.

cybahound

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Luke Johnson above has the best solution for those with an SD card. If you go into the Play Music settings and change the storage location to external it will store the music under Android on the SD card. I then just renamed the files to the relevant song titles and moved them to my music folder on the SD card. Now I can play them on any music app. But I agree, Google makes it unnecessarily difficult!

Joshua Aniobi

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have looked in sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->files-->music AND sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->cache-->music. Both are empty. And I know there is music there because I listen to it without any wireless access. (My Google Nexus is not connected to a plan of any kind and I don't have a wireless network at work.)

Let's try this again: WHERE are my Google Play music files on my Google Nexus? (Not in the previously mentioned locations. New answer required.)

I have a Nexus 5, so I'm guessing it'll be in the same place on your GNex, as they are on the N5. You're music is located under "/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music".... this folder has a '.nomedia' file in it, which is why only the Google Play Music app can readily access the files in this folder. Your GNex, if not already, will need to be rooted in order to view this root folder of your phone, I use Root Explorer.. but any file explorer which can gain Superuser permissions will work fine. I hope this helps... sorry it's so late though.

Richard Hawksworth

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to download the song to my computer. I want to download the song directly to my phone and be able to use it with other apps. I paid for the song, downloaded it to my phone now why can't I access it??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I consider it Google's soft way of discouraging rampant piracy of music. They make it difficult if not impossible to directly manipulate any song that is downloaded to a device form Google Play Music, so that a person can't easily share that file with someone else directly from the phone. As mentioned earlier, you can still download the track to your computer and then manipulate it that way, so with a little more effort, you can still do what you want with the song you paid for.

Joshua Aniobi

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to download the song to my computer. I want to download the song directly to my phone and be able to use it with other apps. I paid for the song, downloaded it to my phone now why can't I access it??

Just like B. Diddy said.. Google wants to make it moar difficult to pirate music; thus hiding the music from other apps on your phone is the easiest n simplest way for that to happen. If you always use the Google Play Music app, then you don't have any issues.. I prefer it bc then I don't have to worry about keeping other apps up to date with new music bought. But unfortunately, the only way to use the music bought thru Google Play with a diff app than Google Play Music, will be to download it to your computer... then manually push the music to a folder on your phone. The other option is, don't use Google Play Music to buy your music.. and you won't have that annoyance.

MartyCanuck

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Luke Johnson above has the best solution for those with an SD card. If you go into the Play Music settings and change the storage location to external it will store the music under Android on the SD card. I then just renamed the files to the relevant song titles and moved them to my music folder on the SD card. Now I can play them on any music app. But I agree, Google makes it unnecessarily difficult!

Boy do I feel stupid. I looked at that menu a dozen times and could not find that option. Files transferring as I type.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
the folder where they are as described above has a ".nomedia" file in it so the music players won't obviously find the music.
There's nothing magic about the .nomedia file, it's just a note to the media scanner to skip that folder. Delete the file. (Or rename it to nomedia [no '.'].)

Eloe

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Well I tried this (on a album I am allowed to have since I bought it) and next thing I know two of the tracks came in a zip all corrupted. You get 2 tries at downloading, then I suppose you're stuck with whatever % is on device #one and random transmitted zipped files.

Good luck.

I might rather spend $2.00 more to get a CD and rip them under better conditions than random internet fuzzing.

E.

Eloe

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Well I tried this
Good luck.

E.
UPDATE. After gosh-darn following the gash-dirn RULES it failed again on the BEST TRACK of 12! It got one of the two fails so I have got 11/12 of an album THAT I PAID FOR in files. I should reiterate that I am still moderately happy that I have all 12/12 THAT I PAID FOR on my device, may it live forever.

Google, you are selling Music-that-is-locked-into-one device, not Music. Please change all your GIFF-DORN labels, Ok?:eek:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You can find those tracks and relabel and copy them to other devices. They're in possibly the Android/Data/GooglePlay or Music under those directories. They strip the titles though of the songs.

ETA: Use ES File Explorer (or your choice file manager) to find the tracks on your device. Then you can re name them, copy them, etc. :)

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE. After gosh-darn following the gash-dirn RULES it failed again on the BEST TRACK of 12! It got one of the two fails so I have got 11/12 of an album THAT I PAID FOR in files. I should reiterate that I am still moderately happy that I have all 12/12 THAT I PAID FOR on my device, may it live forever.

Google, you are selling Music-that-is-locked-into-one device, not Music. Please change all your GIFF-DORN labels, Ok?:eek:

Except it's not locked to one device. If you just downloaded it on your computer using the Play Music extension in Chrome you would get 320kbps DRM free files. And if you're downloading it with the play music extension there is no download limit.

Edit: I didn't see your first post. Regardless, installing the Play Music extension or using the Music Manager gets rid of the download limit.

I also don't know why you wouldn't think to contact Google Play support if you're having trouble getting access to something you paid for.

Last edited:

IBY SADBOY IMRAN

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought an album using Google Play and can play it successfully. But I checked the Keep On Device option which I assume downloads it to the device? If this is true, where is it stored on my phone?

I had the same problem. It is so simple. Just do this:
Google play music/settings/Storage location
And change the location to external (sd)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad