Where does Android store Google Play music files

Sandy Canetti

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I found this discussion trying to solve the same problem. Keep on device is not one of the options. ALl I see is Start Instant Mix, Shuffle, Play Next, Add to queue, Add to playlist, Go to artist and Shop this artist. Thanks.

Manuel H

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I found this discussion trying to solve the same problem. Keep on device is not one of the options. ALl I see is Start Instant Mix, Shuffle, Play Next, Add to queue, Add to playlist, Go to artist and Shop this artist. Thanks.

go to the Google Play Music app then go to settings. Choose to download to SD card. Then download music to your device.If It shows that you've already downloaded it, remove it from device, then download it again. Then with your file explorer navigate to SD card/Android/data/com.goigle.android.music/files/music. your files should be there unzipped. You can move them around as you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where to look for apps downloaded from Google?
Thank You
nigol

Welcome to Android Central! The apk installer files that are downloaded from Google Play Store are in the system cache partition, which is not normally visible to the user.

nigolx

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The apk installer files that are downloaded from Google Play Store are in the system cache partition, which is not normally visible to the user.

Thanks for the welcome and for the quick response.
No way?
Even using the latest version of Root Explorer?
Thank You

nigol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're rooted, you might be able to see them. I don't root, so I can't give you those details--sorry!

pizzaman79

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S5 with 5.0 lollipop here. I found them in:

Root/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music/

The data/data is no typo. That's with storage location set to internal. External files go to:

/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music/

Maundler

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm on a Droid Turbo and recently downloaded all my google play music library into my device - unfortunately I don't know where they are stored - I look for them in all directories you mentioned and nothing - has Google Music changed? or where do they store the downloaded songs? I'm on a 64 GB device, so there is no external SD, however I can't seem to find the songs anywhere.

Tried on com.google.music - on data - on data/data on root, nothing - I also checked the "show hidden folders and files" and nothing.

The curious thing here is that when I go into apps - Google Music is 17 GB in size, probably stored on cache?? either way, I can't find a cache file or several files worth of 17GB of size so I still can't figure out where is it.

Help!

Thanks

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I was able to find your suggested path (sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->files-->music), but the folder is empty. In the app I removed the download and downloaded it again, still no luck. Also did a global search for one of the words in the title, then the artist, but no luck. I won't be purchasing any music through this app in the future. - I wanted to turn a song into a ring tone. It appears that even though I've paid for it, I can't actually own it.

Steven Bradley1

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me but could only copy and paste into my android music files. also needed to add the proper song title in the file name as google play music folder (Cache) only displayed a number for a title.

windydick

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Eddie Cooper and others. Now have Florence and Machine special cheap offer on my (steam-age XP) desktop HDD, MP3s, 320kps, noDRM - what more could I ask? Couldn't find files on (Nexus 5, so "virtual") phone sdcard, unlike other music player files. Not into rooting yet. Why 320kps? So that my fixed memory fills up quicker? Old timer, so still marvel at my 99p Album appearing as soon as I log into gmail on desktop. Where does Mr Google record every time I fart??

Nicholis du Toit

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
The reason you can't find the music files, is because sdcard/data/ is a system file that does not allow the user to view the contents.
I have taken the following out of a article to help you get the songs you have paid for ;) (You have to have a rooted phone for Method One. If you do not, then you have to go to method two.

Method One
Getting All Your Music Offline
.....If you just want to play your music offline using the Play Music app for Android, you can stop here. This section will cover how to retrieve the actual mp3 files so that you can take them and do whatever you want with them.
Why do that? Because it’s your music that you uploaded, and for some reason, Google only allows each song to be downloaded to your computer twice. What happens if you pass that limit? You can no longer download any of your music. But downloading the files to your Android device, which doesn’t have a limit, and then extracting the files, gets around that little restriction.
Keep in mind, you’ll need to be rooted to do this, but rooting is simple... Once you’ve got a rooted device, you can get started.
Step one is to download a file manager with root permissions; my personal favorite is Root Browser. It is full-featured, but supported by ads that run along the bottom of the app. For our purposes, it will work perfectly.
Open it up, scroll down, and select “data”.
From there, scroll down and select “com.google.android.music”, then select “files”.Your final selection will be “music”; under here, you’ll find all of your downloaded mp3s. They will be numbered and won’t have names, making it hard to know which song is which, but at least they’re there. Copy and paste them using Root Browser to put your music anywhere else on your phone or on an external microSD card.

Method Two
Open Google Play Music in your computer's web browser. After login, make a playlist with all the songs you want to take offline. Then click on the three dots, and click on download. This is the easier way.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, well my wife is pretty upset that...
  1. She paid for a song and can't find it with the music player of her choice
  2. Searching storage does not find it
  3. It takes several long minutes to explain to her why this is so
  4. Despite Android being "all about mobile" she's better off managing her Play purchased music from a PC for download and then sideload to a device

And now I'm pretty upset being dragged into the quagmire when I am just trying to help. And this after I weened her off of iTunes. Don't even get me started on the horror of her finding out all her favorites are now m4a courtesy of her iFriends and thus not as universally acceptable to players.

Stupidity is all it is.If you own it, you own it. The middle man needs to get all the roadblocks out of the way and unhook their claws from your purchase.

Jarrod Vis

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
There are three bars in the top left corner of the PlayStore, click it go to music, click it again and go to my music, then click it again then go to music library

Simplykdc

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
go to the Google Play Music app then go to settings. Choose to download to SD card. Then download music to your device.If It shows that you've already downloaded it, remove it from device, then download it again. Then with your file explorer navigate to SD card/Android/data/com.goigle.android.music/files/music. your files should be there unzipped. You can move them around as you wish.

I had to sign-up just to say thank you Manuel!
Shame they're not in albums though, but are least they can be moved.

Carli258

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
75ad800104acd51d0037b91dae52a4a8.jpg

Here it is .no problem :)

Lbaby 1992

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. It is so simple. Just do this:
Google play music/settings/Storage location
And change the location to external (sd)

I can't find my music anywhere! Files are empty and I do not have an sd card. When I go to GP SETTINGS, there is no option to change Storage settings. Can someone please explain how to do this? Or just help me find my music pleeeeaaase. I just want to use a song for a ringtone! That is all!!! This shouldn't be so damn difficult, Google!!! Smh.