Bricked Android device problems

Xenor

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had some major problems with my phone the past day or so. It all started last night when I took the battery out while it was switched on. I do that often out of laziness as I carry spare batteries. But this time it broke the phone, I'm guessing due to not shutting down properly.

Today I made a backup with ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 and then a factory reset. This allowed me to boot my phone up, but I wanted to get my contacts and text messages from my backup. I tried using advanced recovery from ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 to restore just data or system but this didn't work. I have also tried downloading AppExtractor from the market and restoring my contacts with that. It said it worked but they didn't appear even after rebooting. I then try to select individual apps to restore and it gives me the error "Unable to generate APK listing". So I assume AppExtractor won't work with ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 backups.

Out of frustration I then went and restored the whole backup that I made and this appears to have bricked my phone again. I thought no problem just factory reset it again. But this time doing that hasn't worked, nor has using the clear cache partition thing.

When I boot my phone up it just hangs on the green Android man. The first time I bricked it, the phone was at least getting past that and on to the animated word Android and looping there. I've noticed in ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 the /system and /data directories are unmounted but mounting them did nothing and rebooting back into ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 just sets them back to unmounted.

So where do I go from here? And is there any other ways I can get to my contact list? At this point I'm getting ready to just forget the contact list and just start again as I can ask people for numbers. But right now I can't even boot the device. I shouldn't have been messing around with it without posting a thread somewhere but I thought there was enough info on the net to get through this without having to.

I have an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade but I figure this is a general Android problem rather than phone specific. It was running Android 2.2 when I first bricked it. The factory reset is 2.1.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
YOu should have all your contacts backed up with google.

Next off, restoring what is broken will only lead to breaking it all over again. When you are doing a restore like this, you are taking the damaged files and replacing the good ones.

I would say go into recovery, do a full wipe and factory reset. Then start fresh. Don't restore anything

Xenor

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
YOu should have all your contacts backed up with google.

Next off, restoring what is broken will only lead to breaking it all over again. When you are doing a restore like this, you are taking the damaged files and replacing the good ones.

I would say go into recovery, do a full wipe and factory reset. Then start fresh. Don't restore anything

Sadly I don't have them backed up with Google. I turned the syncing off because it would add 250 contacts to my address book where 90% of them are just people I'd sent an e-mail to once or twice and don't have a phone number for. I will have to do something about that going forward though.

The problem now is a full wipe and factory reset isn't solving the problem. Doing that bad restore seems to have made the problem worse rather than giving the same problem. So if a factory reset isn't working what can I do?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Sadly I don't have them backed up with Google. I turned the syncing off because it would add 250 contacts to my address book where 90% of them are just people I'd sent an e-mail to once or twice and don't have a phone number for. I will have to do something about that going forward though.

The problem now is a full wipe and factory reset isn't solving the problem. Doing that bad restore seems to have made the problem worse rather than giving the same problem. So if a factory reset isn't working what can I do?

Let me look around a bit. I am not all that familiar with zte.... Is there a factory image you can flash?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Xenor

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Let me look around a bit. I am not all that familiar with zte.... Is there a factory image you can flash?
Thanks.
I'm not sure... I've been thinking about trying to put Jellybean on but I'm having difficulty finding ROMs.
ZTE Blades are funny as there's gen 1 and gen 2. I fear I may have corrupted something (gen 2) when I tried to restore the backup on to the factory default (gen 1).

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Why clock work mod 3.0.0.0?? You should be on that version if I recall that version was full of bugs can you get drivers for a fast boot? Or an ruu? To go back to stock?

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352139795832.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352139795832.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Why clock work mod 3.0.0.0?? You should be on that version if I recall that version was full of bugs can you get drivers for a fast boot? Or an ruu? To go back to stock?

That is what my post above yours is. Hopefully he can flash that with cwm and be able to start over

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Xenor

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay I'm going to try what Pizzaman said and if that works I'll think about putting Jellybean on. I also want to set up a partition this time round as my phone's internal memory is tiny and I kept having to clear caches and even uninstall the large Facebook app.

Where is that screenshot from cyanogen-man? It looks nice. I have CWM v3.0.0.6 because I think that was the latest version in May last year when I got this phone and immediately upgraded to Android 2.2. Or at least I thought it was the latest version at the time, I don't do much modding, just wanted 2.2 at the time and went through a guide.

Edit: On the plus I hear it's incredibly hard to completely brick a ZTE Blade.

Edit 2: CWM is saying it can't open that zip file with (bad) followed by aborting.

Edit 3: I put http://ftpb.free.fr/roms/zte/blade/OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05-update_signed.zip on instead for now. No problems there and I can use the phone. Obviously not keeping this ROM but at least it's not bricked any more.

So thanks for the help. :) I can probably take care of other things by following guides.

Although if you know of any way to extract a contact list from a damaged backup I would be interested. Surely the whole image can't be bad, I imagine it's just partially corrupt.

Last edited:

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
May be not I wouldn't risk it but with titanium if you go through the menus you can extract a file from a previous Android update. Do so at your own risk!!!!! If that's part of the currupted file you can basically break your phone all over again

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech