Stuck in bootloop and not rooted, How to back up data?

runingwild

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So, my phone is stuck in a bootloop. I can restore factory setting, but first i want to back up my data, specifically my text messages. They are very important. Is there a way i can do that ?

the bad news is Im not rooted. now im trying to find ways to save data from my the phone before i do a factory reset. i hope im lucky. maybe you guys know how to do it.

Thanks,
btw its an Htc desire S

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So, my phone is stuck in a bootloop. I can restore factory setting, but first i want to back up my data, specifically my text messages. They are very important. Is there a way i can do that ?

the bad news is Im not rooted. now im trying to find ways to save data from my the phone before i do a factory reset. i hope im lucky. maybe you guys know how to do it.

Thanks,
btw its an Htc desire S

You have to fix the "boot loop" in order to do any backups or anything else 1st, besides the reset....

Did you search for the "boot loop" issue?

Did you try a long battery pull like for an hour?

Did you use DropBox to put anything on, if you did you can access it via PC or Mac

FYI: Sometimes after a reset, using the same accounts the text/SMS messages may reappear for the latest ones.

Hope that may help

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are in a boot-loop and didn't not backup or save data prior to that then you are at a loss. Do you know what may have caused the boot-loop? Did it start happening after downloading an app or other file?

Whatever files were saved on the sd card (minus app data) will still be present. Log back into your Google account and if you originally selected "keep device backed-up with Google" then you should have apps start to install once you get the phone setup. Otherwise, you can log into the Play Store via computer and see a list of app downloads and push to your phone from there.

runingwild

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You have to fix the "boot loop" in order to do any backups or anything else 1st, besides the reset....

Did you search for the "boot loop" issue?

Did you try a long battery pull like for an hour?

Did you use DropBox to put anything on, if you did you can access it via PC or Mac

FYI: Sometimes after a reset, using the same accounts the text/SMS messages may reappear for the latest ones.

Hope that may help

at this point i can only think of doing a factory reset to fix the bootloop issue. By doing this, it will most likely delete everything, (although you say there is small chance that they may reappear).

so i was thinking that while its in a bootloop, perhaps there is a way to access the data (sms...) and save it. maybe using Adb? using recovery?

runingwild

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are in a boot-loop and didn't not backup or save data prior to that then you are at a loss. Do you know what may have caused the boot-loop? Did it start happening after downloading an app or other file?

Whatever files were saved on the sd card (minus app data) will still be present. Log back into your Google account and if you originally selected "keep device backed-up with Google" then you should have apps start to install once you get the phone setup. Otherwise, you can log into the Play Store via computer and see a list of app downloads and push to your phone from there.

no, i didnt backup anything prior :( Thats a rare thing on me.
Yes, the phone started giving problems after downloading some apps.
i will try logging into my Google account and into Play store (well, its the HTC Market for me).

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Weird. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. If your pictures are on the sd card, than they won't be affected by the wipe, but if they're on the internal storage, I think you're out of luck. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
ok thanks. I thought maybe i could use ADB and some commands to access the data... ?
Actually, you may be right. Did you have usb debugging on before the boot-looping started?

EDIT: I googled and couldn't find anything for you, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Note that all of the guides I found were not specific to your device and they also required root access. I hope you have an easier time finding a guide than I did. Good Luck.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If he's bootlooping chances are that adb won't be recognized. Once you get the device back up and running be sure to keep it backed-up regularly or take the plunge and root so that you can perform a system wide backup and restore if needed.

wolku

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I connected using adb. i have access to the root directory. I can see the files and dirs but i can't read it because I don't have root access. If I try to copy something from android i get message "access denied". If I root my phone , my contacts will survive?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
adb pull /DCIM/* somewhere-on-your-hard-drive

Should pull just about all pictures in internal storage.

wolku

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't have root privileges. so I can only view folders but i can't read it or I do something wrong. If I want to copy all files and folders from internal storage to my HDD what should I do?
adb pull /* C:\ or it is wrong ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not wrong, but USB file transfer is slow. Your grandchildren might not live long enough to see it finish.

Rooting your phone (not using a one-click rooting program - there's no way to know what one of them is doing) consists of gaining temprary root through some "back door", installing a file named su and installing an app like Superuser or SuperSU. It doesn't do anything to the data on your phone.

However, all your contacts should be backed up on https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts, you should be backing your texts up at least once a week, your pictures and videos should be backed as soon as you can after you get them ... There's really very little on the phone that shouldn't already be backed up.

Always assume that your phone can be stolen. What would you do then?

If it's not worth the time to back it up, it can't be very important.

wolku

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
adb pull /data/* F:\
remote object /data/* does not exists
i got this error when i try to copy files
when i try to use sth like this
adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/root / and i got message "mount operation not permited"
i tried also
adb shell
$ adb pull /data/* F:
adb pull /data/* F:
adb: permission denied
$
i have no idea how what can I do more
soft revolutionary and unrevoked3 also finish with error

pleas help

ambrown

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it. My phone was just fine for 6+ months of use. I'm rooted, on the Droid Razr HD, and suddenly started having random resets here and there about a week ago or so. Next thing I know yesterday it froze up on me and gave me a blank screen. So I did a hard reset, and went into a bootloop. I tried various things but it eventually popped back up on the lockscreen. So I'm using it like regular today, then it does teh same thing. I hard reset and now I've been in a bootloop for the last 45+ minutes at least. I keep resetting and still just a bootloop. I am able to get into recovery (stock) and I've wiped the cache partition to see if that does anything. But still no solution and here it sits in a bootloop. I was wondering if tehre was a way to use ADB or something to at least save my pictures that are the main thing I care about. Then I'd just do a factory reset and start over. Unfortunately I'll likely lose root doing that, but I'd rather be able to use my phone, well, as a phone. Cellular and texts are fundamental and I'm up a creek without them. But I don't want to lose those pictures either.

So I don't know what else I can do at this point. I've Googled and found lots of ways to solve a bootloop that include wiping all user data, but that's an absolute last resort, that I may have to take if there is no other way to retrieve my data anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835