Problems with ClockWorkMod backup/restore

JonWillard

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am fairly new to Andriod but I've used ClockWorkMod on both a HTC Explorer and now my new Galaxy Note 10.1 so I am gaining experience. I had a scare today because I reset to factory to do a test and when I went to restore my backup it failed to restore /data. I tried several attempts with several different Clockworkmod backups. None of them solved the problem. I should have stopped there I suppose and just recreated my data :) but no, I read somewhere on the web that the way to fix that was to switch back to stock recovery and redo the ClockworkMod install / rooting process. Not sure why that would have helped but I tried it. Afterwards I coped the ClockworkMod files down into the tablet (from my pc) and tried to restore - the system image failed to load and now my device would not boot. Fortunately I had an older backup on my extcard and was able to load that. But during this process I ended up with the following questions that some of your gurus might be able to answer. I apologize if you think I should google for all these on the web- I am finding a lot of incomplete and confusing information so please feel free to send me pointers, links and comments to this list of questions

1. Why did ClockWorkMod fail to install the /data portion correctly? Do other people run into this (apparently based on a google search) I want to really depend on CWM
2. Is there a way to get support for ClockWorkMod or provide feekback about this? I read somewhere that the paid version works better, is that true?
3. When I go to the ClockworkMod website and try to download ROM Manager it only seems to want to download it for my HTC device, does that matter?
4. What does the 'create update.zip' do compared to cwm backup and what is the best way to snapshot my tablet for later restore?
5. How can I find and download the STOCK rom for GT-N8013 (in case I need it)? I could not find it at the SamMobile firmware page or anywhere else
6. What else should I know about ensuring that I have a good system backup and the correct tools to save system images, install custom roms and get back to my previous system image?

What would be awesome would be a document describing CWM and Titaniaum backup (and any other tools) needed to do full mgmt.

Thanks in advance.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
1. Why did ClockWorkMod fail to install the /data portion correctly? Do other people run into this (apparently based on a google search) I want to really depend on CWM
You may have had a corrupt file and it failed at /data. For the G-Note 10.1 XDA will have a lot of info related to te device - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - xda-developers

2. Is there a way to get support for ClockWorkMod or provide feekback about this? I read somewhere that the paid version works better, is that true?
ClockworkMod - That is the Clockworkmod website. Remember, that the recovery (clockworkmod) may not have been built for the G-Note 10.1 by Koush (developer) of Clockworkmod. I believe the code is open source and anyone can build it for a particular device. Search XDA first and see if you find common problems there.

3. When I go to the ClockworkMod website and try to download ROM Manager it only seems to want to download it for my HTC device, does that matter?
You can get ROM Manager from the Play Store. Go to the Play Store with the G-Note 10.1 and download it.

4. What does the 'create update.zip' do compared to cwm backup and what is the best way to snapshot my tablet for later restore?
I'm guessing you are referring to Titanium Backup with this question? If so, 'update.zip' is a .zip file that is created with the Titanium Backup app by itself (the latest update allows you to make a .zip of all the backed-up applications) so you can install via recovery (after a factory reset or installation of another ROM) to install the titanium backup app without having to re-download it from the Play Store.

5. How can I find and download the STOCK rom for GT-N8013 (in case I need it)? I could not find it at the SamMobile firmware page or anywhere else
Check the XDA forum for the G-Note 10.1 for this. It may be posted there for download.

6. What else should I know about ensuring that I have a good system backup and the correct tools to save system images, install custom roms and get back to my previous system image?
It may have been a one-time error. Read through the forum to find out any issues related to CWM and the G-Note 10.1. Hopefully you won't experience it again.

What would be awesome would be a document describing CWM and Titaniaum backup (and any other tools) needed to do full mgmt.

Thanks in advance.
Hopefully I shed some light on your questions.

JonWillard

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thx srrkmagnus, it sounds like xda might be a good place to check. With respect to CWM "create update.zip" that is not Titanium backup but cwm. I think it might make a backup and Zip it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek