Music/Pictures Sync

MicrosoftNorthstar

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Apologies if this question has already been addressed already; I tried doing a search for it but didn't find any useful relevant posts.

Hello Android friends! Greetings from a Windows Phone 8 user (Nokia Lumia 920). What might a WP user be doing on an Android forum, you ask? Well friends, with the release of WP8 we are a lot more alike than you think, especially in the area of phone storage. Windows Phone 8 devices are now recognized as mass storage drives when plugged in to a computer, just like Android devices have always been, and unlike WP7 devices which were managed by the Zune software.

For those unfamiliar with the Zune software, it is very similar to iTunes as it functions as both a media player and media sync between PC and devices. It is quite excellent at both, allowing you to sync individual artists, playlists, albums, genres, picture folders, you name it, and if you changed your media on your PC (i.e. changing the name of an artist or moving a picture from one folder to another) it would automatically push those changes to your device. It worked beautifully.

In Windows Phone 8, Microsoft decided to split the media playback and media syncing on the PC, and what we have now is the Xbox Music app in Windows 8 for playback, and two syncing apps: a full-screen tablet-friendly Windows 8 app, and a regular desktop program. Both of the syncing apps are terrible at syncing, and now I am looking for a utility that will offer the same syncing functionality as the former Zune software.

My question to my Android friends then is if you are like me and prefers a local sync between phone and PC (meaning this question is not for folks who sync their stuff to the cloud via Google Play, etc.), and wants that granular control over how syncing is done (most importantly syncing PC changes to device), what software do you use?

Please, help your Windows friend out, and thanks in advance! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried it myself, but can't you use WMP on your PC to sync music with the SD card in the phone after plugging the phone in with the USB cable? Give that a try.

I got a Zune HD when Costco was having fire sales after Microsoft announced it was stopping production. Great player!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MicrosoftNorthstar

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried using WMP and although it copied my media to the device, I then modified some media on my PC (e.g. moving pictures into folders) and it did not push over the changes to my device. Also if I were to do anything on my device such as taking pictures or downloading music, it would not sync them back to the PC.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most Android phones can connect using MTP protocol, so this might allow you to sync up using WMP. I'm not currently in front of my PC, so I can't test it out yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums