Is it possible to get rid of the 4.2 update 'lock' screen horror? Or roll back to 4.1? Help!

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am brand new to Android, and to the Nexus 7 I was madly in love with since I got it the other day - until foolishly applying the update to 4.2. The pleasing lock screen has now disappeared, replaced by a digital clock with mis-matched digits, a cheap and nasty looking scrolling effect of my info and the ability to add widgets showing personal information by anyone who happens to be holding the Nexus, who can then access my email and calendar. I've never had to with any other OS I've used on any device since 1985, but I realise now I should have done some research to see what the update might do before rashly going ahead with it. If there isn't any way to make the lock screen an actual lock screen again, and a calmer one at that, is it possible to roll back the update to what I was incredibly happy with? Presumably I could do a factory reset somehow, but that seems a little drastic, and presumably I would lose information. Wish I had learned about backing up before doing the update, feeling very foolish now...

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
How would I unload it?! I have added security to stop passers by being able to access email/calendar, and made my owner info tiny so it doesn't scroll, so it's a start. I really hope the rest of the update makes up for the stuff I have to look at every day and hate.

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That helps! Now if someone could find a way to stop the clock looking like it was designed by a chimp in the dark who was having a bad day...

MidCat

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
OH MY GOD!!! I HATE the new update!! It has messed up my applications and now my JORTE Calendar doesn't work! And the Lock Screen CLOCK!!! Different size fonts and all messed up!! I need to go back to 4.1!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! I am desperate!:mad:

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That new lock screen is horrendous. Google was on such a roll until 4.2. I like the multiple profiles but that lock screen is horrible; I've actually removed the screen lock entirely now the tablet just wakes up right to the homescreen.

- - - Updated - - -

That helps! Now if someone could find a way to stop the clock looking like it was designed by a chimp in the dark who was having a bad day...

That's awesome and I completely agree with how it's designed.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OH MY GOD!!! I HATE the new update!! It has messed up my applications and now my JORTE Calendar doesn't work! And the Lock Screen CLOCK!!! Different size fonts and all messed up!! I need to go back to 4.1!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! I am desperate!:mad:

just throw the phone to a wall. it will automatically get back to 4.1. are you using htc phone?

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder of the beauty that was the old lock screen - oh how I miss it...

View attachment 47422

Oh, and update - there is at least now a "Fixed 4.2 Clock Widget" available, thank goodness. BUT that doesn't get rid of the scrolling user information (so mine is staying minimal), and of course it doesn't play nicely with the "Lockscreen Features Policy" app, so there's still the horrible glowing part-box on the side of the screen when switching on. Still a massive improvement, but I'm still (perhaps disproportionately) angry that I have ended up wasting time trying to fix something that should never have been broken in the first place...

Last edited:

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the clock.

As for the lock screen widgets, if a password is required to unlock the phone, then a password is required to add widgets. If you don't have a password, then the person holding your phone has access to that information anyway. If you have already added the widget then yes they have access to your information without having to enter your password, if that concerns you then don't use the lock screen widget.

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is of course completely subjective, the clock isn't inherently good or bad (although I bet there are many design rules that would say it's far from good). But I am far from a lone voice crying in the wilderness here - and had we not originally had a clock that that looked really good (and according to those who use it at night and for alarms, that worked properly) perhaps it would have been OK. As for the widget screens, even with security the stupid glowy box edge shows up whenever you switch on. Like I said before, it wasn't broken, it was actually very good, and I am among many who think they should have left it alone. Perhaps the update message should have come with some screen shots, so we knew what would happen if we went ahead...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia