How do I remove a tiny Stripped Screw from phone? Trying to get pics off of dead phone's soldered HD

superboy

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi All.

To make a long story short, I have a dead Nexus S 4g that won't power up anymore, tech guy at the phone store couldn't figure out why. I got a 2nd working Nexus S 4G afterwards. I want to move the pics from the old phone to the new phone but because the NS4g has NO external SD Card, and the hard drive in the old phone is soldered onto the motherboard, I don't want to remove the solder from the old board and put it onto the new phone, it sounds messy and a lot of work and I'm afraid to "screw" it up even more. I want to move the entire board onto the new phone and try to retreive the pics and then move it back. I don't know if this will work but I want to try it out anyway.

The problem? 1 of the tiny screws from the new phone was stripped and I can't unscrew it to disassemble it ! I've been searching online and people generally have bigger screws to remove (on bigger hardware) but couldn't find much on tiny screws on a delicate electronics like our smartphones, thus posting here now. Any ideas? Here's a pic, sorry for if its not too clear. . Any other ideas on how to get the pics out is welcome. Thanks for your help

IMG_8200_zps9af2c2f9.jpg

jennysmate

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The usual way is to saw a groove for a flat-head screwdriver, but that looks impossible here. The other method is to drill it out, use a drill bit a tad smaller than the screw body.

Last edited:

zoarmaster

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes have luck putting a rubber band or a piece of black electrical tape between screw and screwdriver and trying to turn it that way.