[SOLVED][Android 4.1][iOS] How Emoji works on Android and iOS

ebunny91

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
[...] WRITING emoji seems to depend more on stock Google Android having the emoji keyboard as described above. Non-stock-Google needs something like Multiling Keyboard.

So as far as I know, any manufacturer that implements Android 4.1 "properly" should show emoji. That is, you can SEE it. Like I said do check the Wikipedia page on various devices and let me know.

In summary, any 4.1 device like S3, One S, etc should SHOW emoji (like my One X), unless the manufacturer didn't do it "properly" for some reason. S3 and One S will need Multiling Keyboard to WRITE emoji because it is not stock Google Android.
[...] Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

SO I now understand-ish why my JB s3 phone does not come with the AOSP keyboard (becasue the s3 is not a stock google Android...?). I guess the next logical question woud be, is there any way to manually download the AOSP keyboard, capable of adding on dictionaries (i.e. emoji for english words)???

I downloaded the Android Keyboard (LatinImeGooge_signed.apk) from here: ? Configuring your Samsung Galaxy S3 for Blind Users ? Part 1 ? Getting rid of the samsung keyboard in favor of the android stock oneJeffrey's Soapbox but it does not have the "add-on dictionaries" option. I am grateful to now have autocorrect and a properly-spaced spacebar, but where can I find the real deal?

Screenshots: 1) before android keyboard download. 2) after DL 3) options provided within its settin

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-08-07-29-43.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-08-07-29-43.png
    137 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2013-03-09-16-08-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-16-08-44.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2013-03-09-16-09-00.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-16-09-00.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

chelupas

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
it seams mine is not working properly as you have said. i add on dictonary but it goes away. and the little sign does not appear. i have the droid razar maxx hd

Fuzzballz

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Too bad the Android emoji suck.

Whoever designed the Android smileys should be abused.

I think they got one of the programmers to do it in his spare time rather than actually hiring an artist. The icons lack wit, charm, and clarity.

bettyboobabie

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
now i have an android 4.1 HTC EVO 4g LTE and i still dont have the emojis i can see them on ig but i cant send them or see them when they are sent to me so what can i or do i do

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So is it safe to say that android users are not able to use emoji's on instagram with the stock setup on the GS3? :'(

That dpends what you mean by stock, if tis not include installing extra appictions, you might find keyboard that can place emoticons and just install it :> just search :p

k_wilks16

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the Droid RAZR Maxx and I can see the emojis but when I go to add on dictionaries and download the add on it doesn't work. I go back to look at it I it disappears. I refresh the page and its there again but I have to re install it again. Does it work for my phone?

synchrolilie

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my original Droid razr. I can see the emoji on Instagram, etc. But i can't type it. I tried to go into settings and found where the emoji keyboard is but it doesn't want to "stick". after i install it, and refresh or leave the settings, it says uninstalled. How can I fix this?:confused:

rkka93

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Droid RAZR MAXX and have the exact same problem. I install the emoji dictionary, it disappears when I go back to that screen, refresh, then have to install again. Its a continuous loop.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it looks like standard emoji without colour is usually the best we can get for now. Someone should make a root modification or otherwise hopefully Android 5 will have colour emoji.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my original Droid razr. I can see the emoji on Instagram, etc. But i can't type it. I tried to go into settings and found where the emoji keyboard is but it doesn't want to "stick". after i install it, and refresh or leave the settings, it says uninstalled. How can I fix this?:confused:

Have you tried Multiling Keyboard?

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
now i have an android 4.1 HTC EVO 4g LTE and i still dont have the emojis i can see them on ig but i cant send them or see them when they are sent to me so what can i or do i do

SO I now understand-ish why my JB s3 phone does not come with the AOSP keyboard (becasue the s3 is not a stock google Android...?). I guess the next logical question woud be, is there any way to manually download the AOSP keyboard, capable of adding on dictionaries (i.e. emoji for english words)???

I downloaded the Android Keyboard (LatinImeGooge_signed.apk) from here: ? Configuring your Samsung Galaxy S3 for Blind Users ? Part 1 ? Getting rid of the samsung keyboard in favor of the android stock oneJeffrey's Soapbox but it does not have the "add-on dictionaries" option. I am grateful to now have autocorrect and a properly-spaced spacebar, but where can I find the real deal?

Screenshots: 1) before android keyboard download. 2) after DL 3) options provided within its settin

Have you tried Multiling Keyboard? That's what works for me...

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ios6 vs Windows

Is there a link to anywhere on the internet that shows almost all or all of the ios 6 emojis next to their cross platform windows equivalents? That would be super amazing. I want to know what each emoji looks like when i send an ios6 emoji to my friend who has a windows phone

Yup Wikipedia has a good run down/ comparison.

mic1391

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried all of this on my HTC One X+, and I cannot type Emoji. I able to read them, and Emoji keyboard is "on" in settings. However, there is no way for me to type with Emoji. It would be nice to be able to switch between my regular Swype keyboards and an emoji keyboard. Please attempt to fix this problem. Thank you.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried all of this on my HTC One X+, and I cannot type Emoji. I able to read them, and Emoji keyboard is "on" in settings. However, there is no way for me to type with Emoji. It would be nice to be able to switch between my regular Swype keyboards and an emoji keyboard. Please attempt to fix this problem. Thank you.

Have you tried Multiling Keyboard? I don't work for them but that is what I use to switch between Swype/Touchpal and Emoji.

Angie Cosme

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: [EXPLANATION][Android 4.1][iOS] How Emoji works on Android and iOS

I can't install Emoji for English words... It would install but then delete right away. I tried refreshing like 10 times and it keeps doing the same thing.... Please help me!! I have Nexus 7 :'(

ibex333

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Wow.. This just confirms it one more time. Another point to the iPhone team. : (

I thought there was a way to integrate iPhone emojii into Samsung and Swype keyboards and use it just like with iOS, and there is no such way. Sucks.

ten80pee

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

Recently Google has released it's "Google Keyboard" in the play store. This seems very similar to the Android "stock" keyboard. So if you have an S3 etc. that uses it's own proprietary keyboard you can install the google keyboard and enable the emoji dictionary with no hiccups. I have been using this new keyboard over the last day or so and so far I love it.

Still would like to see a list of all the keywords to activate all of the emoji's though....

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Recently Google has released it's "Google Keyboard" in the play store. This seems very similar to the Android "stock" keyboard. So if you have an S3 etc. that uses it's own proprietary keyboard you can install the google keyboard and enable the emoji dictionary with no hiccups. I have been using this new keyboard over the last day or so and so far I love it.

Still would like to see a list of all the keywords to activate all of the emoji's though....

It is the Google stock keyboard, just with res and layout folders for all devices and backwards compatibility for older versions of android. The source code is nearly identical, I can tell you for sure.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo