Can anyone tell me, what if any current android phones I could buy without getting a data plan or cell phone service and use it basically over wifi similar to how the ipod touch is.
    07-23-2010 10:17 AM
    All of them. They work just fine over wifi.
    cstmstyle likes this.
    07-23-2010 10:33 AM
    Nice thanks for the info
    07-23-2010 02:33 PM
    Just don't buy it through your carrier. They will make you buy a data plan.

There are a few tricks.

1) When you get a new phone, you have to sign in to your google account. This requires data. (Wifi is not enabled at this point). What I did is put someone else's sim card (that has data), into my phone temporarily. Note that your phone has to be compatible with thier sim card.

2) Make sure you turn off data for your phone, so it doesn't use up pay-per-use data. With newer OSs, you can do it in settings. You can also use an app like apn-droid to switch to apn to something non existant. Or just change them manually. Last option is to get your carrier to disable pay-per-use data.

Good luck
    07-24-2010 02:39 PM
    Personally, I would wait to see if this badboy comes to the West:

More details of Samsung YP-MB2 (Galaxy S PMP) leak out | Samsung Hub

It should be much cheaper than an Android phone off-contract.
    07-25-2010 05:23 AM
    Can anyone tell me, what if any current android phones I could buy without getting a data plan or cell phone service and use it basically over wifi similar to how the ipod touch is.
    If your looking for a PMP, check out archos 5/archos7. They run on android and have a ton of internal storage.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
    07-25-2010 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD