What to do with AT&T apps?

daemoncycler

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Just bought my first cell phone - ever:confused:

Pantech Burst - OS ICS 4.0.4

Purchased off eBay, unlocked. Inserted a SIM card from AirVoice Wireless & so far so good.

My question is (& sorry for being so cell phone illiterate) what if anything should I do about all the AT&T apps? - since I am not an AT&T customer.

these are running at startup - AT&T Hot Spots (WiFi help), AT&T Native Sync Service (address book?), AT&T Locker (cloud Storage)

these are installed - AT&T Code Scanner / Family Map / Messages / Navigator

I disabled AT&T Live TV - can I go thru the rest of individually & disable them too?
Cloud Storage could certainly be accomplished with Google. the address book & Hot Spots don't look to important. & well since the others aren't even running.

On another note:

Also have an Android tablet & it has been recommended (Transformerforums.com) after installing several apps to perform a Cold Boot

Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print "Cold Booting Linux" and let it reboot.

Since they both run Android is it advised to perform a Cold Boot on a regular basis with the phone too?

thank you:)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to disable all of those AT&T apps, if the system allows you to. I assume you know how to disable apps in the Settings/Apps menu, since you said you already disabled AT&T Live TV. Certain apps can't be disabled, so don't be surprised if you see that button greyed out. I'm sure a number of forum members will also suggest rooting your phone, which essentially gives you superuser privileges and allows you to completely remove system apps, but since you mentioned being cell phone illiterate, I wouldn't recommend it until you've had more experience.

You don't really have to do a hard reset (which is what I assume is meant by cold boot) with any regularity. It is, however, a good idea to power the phone completely off, then turn it back on again from time to time. This helps to clear out some of the cobwebs, so to speak, that build up in the system over time.

daemoncycler

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,

Yes hard reset is what I meant. See on the tablet forum a great deal of talk regarding root - don't think I'm quite ready for that yet.
Good to know I can start to clean this phone up a bit.

Suppose I jack it up too much a factory reset would return it to it's condition when purchased, correct?
Would apps removed with root authority return after a factory reset? Guess that's really beyond the scope of my post.

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a rooter, so I can't help you with those questions. Plenty of people on this forum who do root, though, so maybe someone else has answers for you. Good luck, and have fun!

herecomesmaggi

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Just bought my first cell phone - ever:confused:

Pantech Burst - OS ICS 4.0.4

Purchased off eBay, unlocked. Inserted a SIM card from AirVoice Wireless & so far so good.

My question is (& sorry for being so cell phone illiterate) what if anything should I do about all the AT&T apps? - since I am not an AT&T customer.

these are running at startup - AT&T Hot Spots (WiFi help), AT&T Native Sync Service (address book?), AT&T Locker (cloud Storage)

these are installed - AT&T Code Scanner / Family Map / Messages / Navigator

I disabled AT&T Live TV - can I go thru the rest of individually & disable them too?
Cloud Storage could certainly be accomplished with Google. the address book & Hot Spots don't look to important. & well since the others aren't even running.

On another note:

Also have an Android tablet & it has been recommended (Transformerforums.com) after installing several apps to perform a Cold Boot

Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print "Cold Booting Linux" and let it reboot.

Since they both run Android is it advised to perform a Cold Boot on a regular basis with the phone too?

thank you:)

Do you wanna remove them or keep all bloatwares suppressed... Me too own same cell and its stupid easy to remove bloatwares from it... Yes root will be required for following...
With titanium backup pro u can freeze all at&t crap with ease.. Except leave at&t sync client as it is hard attached to your dialer and contact book. It is at&t address book.. You can't remove at&t address book or your contacts will give frequent errors.. In case you wanted to remove that too., use go contact or any other dialer and contact replacement... There is stock rom named stock by wajeeh, in that all crapware is removed.
You can remove them also by using titanium backup.... Just ping me if u wanna know more...

Regards

daemoncycler

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you wanna remove them or keep all bloatwares suppressed... Me too own same cell and its stupid easy to remove bloatwares from it... Yes root will be required for following...
With titanium backup pro u can freeze all at&t crap with ease.. Except leave at&t sync client as it is hard attached to your dialer and contact book. It is at&t address book.. You can't remove at&t address book or your contacts will give frequent errors.. In case you wanted to remove that too., use go contact or any other dialer and contact replacement... There is stock rom named stock by wajeeh, in that all crapware is removed.
You can remove them also by using titanium backup.... Just ping me if u wanna know more...

Hi herecomesmaggi,
I will save the email notification for this thread so that I can look you up easily in the future. Joined several fone forums (Howard Forums, Android Central, xda-developers, gizmolord, Android Forums) when I got this new Cell Phone - bit of overkill I imagine.

You are correct, at&t software update is the only one other than sync client that is not disabled. Will I ever use software update? Have Jelly Bean on the tablet & don't really see much difference other than ICS uses less memory. I'm assuming that is what at&t software update does. Or does it just update at&t software?

Anyway quite happy with the Pantech phone so far & not really interested in root yet. But when I am will ping u then.

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae