Google Play Music confusion

Tony Stoyle1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to clarify the best way of getting music onto my device. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and previously had an iPhone 4. So the first thing I did was to connect my new phone to my PC and drag and drop all my music files from the PC onto the phone. Sorted, easy peasy.
Then I realised that Google Play Music allows you to store all your music online - but seemingly you can't upload this from a phone, just a PC. No bother - I logged on to my PC and uploaded all my music from iTunes libraries into Google - 2100 tracks. A proportion of this was the music I had previously dragged and dropped to my phone.

2 things of note - firstly when I did this my phone for some reason automatically tried to download all the music to the phone, I had a queue a mile long and saying there was not enough space but I don't actually know what it was doing as sometimes it said 4.75gb over limit and sometimes 600mb. Eventually I killed the app and cleared data to clear the queue and it all looked ok then. What is now a little odd though is that it does not seem to recognise where I have the same music in the cloud and already on the device - if I select All Music and an album that I already had on the device, the blue pin is not blue. If I select On device only and the same album it says "x songs on device" but the pin is still not blue. It's as though its got in a muddle as to what is on the cloud and the device where they are the same. Of course I could delete everything from the phone and do "choose on device music" but it seems a bit OTT.

Going forward if I were to purchase a new CD what is the recommended way of getting it onto your device and into the cloud - it seems a bit odd to load into the cloud first and then download to the phone but if I drag and drop first I will probably run into the same problems again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you should have uploaded to the cloud first. Once it's there, then you can specify which songs to store locally (so you don't have to keep everything on the phone). That's what I do....I have 90% of my music in the cloud, then I keep a few playlists and stuff around for when I don't have mobile data (or have a slow connection) for one reason or another (typically in remote areas I'm traveling through).

The problem is you have it local, and are also syncing the cloud to it (so it's doubling up everything).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol