malicious adware

Spazdroid

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 (7") running android 4.1.1 build number JRO03C.P3110ZSCLK5

I am getting alert prompts popping up asking me if I want to check out some "great free apps".

This is obviously spam. This alert box seems to be able to pop up any time and pops up during games. The interval is random, but seems to pop up shortly after I swipe in.

Multiple people in the house use it, and everyone has access to installing stuff at the moment. I got the demo version of Lookout and scanned it. It found a bunch of apps at various threat levels and I removed pretty much all of them except ones that were known to be part of a marketing network where ads are only displayed inside the app. I removed all non-essential apps that looked like they were running in the background all the time (ie. the button FORCE STOP was enabled).

Now when I do a scan, Lookout says there are no threats on my system. Obviously Lookout doesn't detect everything.
I am happy to do a factory reset (or whatever it is called) but that won't help me next time this happens.
How do I go about debugging the situation?

Advice much appreciated.