ALL browsers crash constantly (except Chrome), Nexus 7 [solved]

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

new user with an old(?) problem. I already wrote about it here, but I now realize that my problem is much larger than anticipated.

To put it short: Dolphin Browser started force closing randomly a few days ago. I couldn't get rid of the problem and tested pretty much every browser available for the Android platform. Opera, Firefox, Boat, xScope, Maxthon and so on, they ALL crash. I don't really like Google Chrome, due to its lack of options (no fullscreen etc.), so this is driving me nuts.

Here is what I did:

- uninstalled and reinstalled Dolphin
- rebooted the tablet
- deleted the app cache (also via "wipe cache partition")
- disabled Google Admob
- executed a full factory reset, installed Dolphin first, still crashing

The problem itself is well documented and affects many OS versions, even more devices and every browser. The only workaround is to disable JavaScript, which of course renders many web pages unusable.

Coming from a Blackberry Playbook with its own fair share of browser related crahes, I'm now utterly frustrated with the situation. The first three weeks with my new Nexus 7 felt absolutely perfect, almost like honeymoon. Than BAM!, sh*t hits the fan.

Is there anything else I could try apart from whining and sharing my pain? :-\

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: ALL browsers crash constantly (except Chrome), Nexus 7

I assume you're not rooted (I don't have root experience, so can't comment on how that might affect things). Do you routinely disable a lot of system apps? If so, try re-enabling all of them and see if the problem persists.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

I found the culprit! :D
The admin of a message board I regularly visit implemented this script. It somehow "infects" the browser (for lack of a better word) and force closes appear even when I'm browsing on other sites.

Clearing the browser's cache is NOT enough to get rid of the problem! I had to uninstall Dolphin and wipe the cache partition. Avoiding the site with the script in question is the only workaround.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Nice job! Any idea what the purpose of that script is?

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

Sure, this is from the site I linked:

Jquery Asynchronous Image Loader (JAIL)

JAIL is a jQuery plugin that lazy load images making your page load faster.

Images are downloaded when they are visible or when they become visible inside the viewport (area you see in your browser). Images can be loaded after an event is triggered (such as click, mouseover, and scroll) or after a specified delay. It's advisable to call jail() after the DOM has been constructed (document ready).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ah, thanks. I'm using my phone, and was too lazy to hit your link!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz