Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped !!

Trevor Suckling

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
when I try to access some of my contacts, through the contacts app. A message appears saying 'Unfortunately Contacts has stopped' ??
Yet I am still able to make calls, send texts and emails to that contact, just can't access the information.

Does anyone know why ? Or if theres a way to sort it ?

I have a Sony Xperia T running Android ver 4.1.2

Cheers

Trevor

Joanna Hargis

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
None of these recommendations I found out here are totally right. Just go to the place where you view ALL apps in your phone...and you will need to look near the bottom of the list despite the alphabetical order for disabled apps to find the app called Contacts Storage. You will see that it is disabled. So ENABLE it. And go on with your life.

Of course, a hard reset will fix it temporarily but what a pain in the **** that is, and you lose a lot of things when you do that. It is the lazy support suggestion for a fix...my fix is not going to be permanent, I suspect. However it takes a few seconds to do and it brings it back into operation immediately with no data loss what-so-ever. Now the bug that causes this must be defined and fix for a permanent solution but meanwhile this works very well.

cobra977

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
None of these recommendations I found out here are totally right. Just go to the place where you view ALL apps in your phone...and you will need to look near the bottom of the list despite the alphabetical order for disabled apps to find the app called Contacts Storage. You will see that it is disabled. So ENABLE it. And go on with your life.

Of course, a hard reset will fix it temporarily but what a pain in the **** that is, and you lose a lot of things when you do that. It is the lazy support suggestion for a fix...my fix is not going to be permanent, I suspect. However it takes a few seconds to do and it brings it back into operation immediately with no data loss what-so-ever. Now the bug that causes this must be defined and fix for a permanent solution but meanwhile this works very well.

I've read your solution on half a dozen threads. Does not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
when I try to access some of my contacts, through the contacts app. A message appears saying 'Unfortunately Contacts has stopped' ??
Yet I am still able to make calls, send texts and emails to that contact, just can't access the information.

Does anyone know why ? Or if theres a way to sort it ?

I have a Sony Xperia T running Android ver 4.1.2

Cheers

Trevor

Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted or unrooted (rooting is the process of gaining superuser access, usually not recommended for novices)? Sometimes, when people root their phones, they modify some system setting or delete some system component that ends up being very important.

Is your system completely up to date? Go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates, and see if any are available.

What happens if you reboot your phone (not a hard reset)? This can sometimes help solve the issue, but it can also just be a temporary fix.

Do you have any 3rd party apps that may access the Contacts/People app, like a 3rd party contacts app?

Nathaniel Barnes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted or unrooted (rooting is the process of gaining superuser access, usually not recommended for novices)? Sometimes, when people root their phones, they modify some system setting or delete some system component that ends up being very important.

Is your system completely up to date? Go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates, and see if any are available.

What happens if you reboot your phone (not a hard reset)? This can sometimes help solve the issue, but it can also just be a temporary fix.

Do you have any 3rd party apps that may access the Contacts/People app, like a 3rd party contacts app?

Im having same issue, just got phone yesterday, not rooted, no 3rd party aps yet, android version 4.2.2. No change with reboot... or any other fix above for that matter

This is exactly what is happening: Press contacts>select ANY contact>press back button to go back into contacts>SORRY! Unfortunately, contacts has stopped.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Im having same issue, just got phone yesterday, not rooted, no 3rd party aps yet, android version 4.2.2. No change with reboot... or any other fix above for that matter

This is exactly what is happening: Press contacts>select ANY contact>press back button to go back into contacts>SORRY! Unfortunately, contacts has stopped.

Have you gone into settings > applications > contacts and cleared the cache? That should fix your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo