SD card memory caps

Jason Chu

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi All:
just gone into the android world by purchasing a cheap android tablet, dint want to commit 2 years to do any of the carrier for now until later, its Ice Cream sandwich by the way

one question i run into is the SD card, the tablet came with 4GB of memory internally, i purchased a 32GB SD card hoping to boost its usability, and used a few apps to "move app to SD" its been working good, but its not showing any size decreased in the SD card after i moved about 30-40 apps to the SD card using these app, its still saying it has 29GB or so and used none of it , this is the reading from the built-in "disk usage" meter in the device management options...., and i downloaded a few more app that gives me the reading of the SD card status and usage, it gave me much less than what i expected, it said my SD card only has 1.7GB total give or takes

so this kind of puzzles me, how can we tell if which usage data is right ? is my cheap tablet being cheap because of this so it would only see about 2GB of the 32GB SD card maybe this was the reason ??

thanks for your help and advise

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:
just gone into the android world by purchasing a cheap android tablet, dint want to commit 2 years to do any of the carrier for now until later, its Ice Cream sandwich by the way

one question i run into is the SD card, the tablet came with 4GB of memory internally, i purchased a 32GB SD card hoping to boost its usability, and used a few apps to "move app to SD" its been working good, but its not showing any size decreased in the SD card after i moved about 30-40 apps to the SD card using these app, its still saying it has 29GB or so and used none of it , this is the reading from the built-in "disk usage" meter in the device management options...., and i downloaded a few more app that gives me the reading of the SD card status and usage, it gave me much less than what i expected, it said my SD card only has 1.7GB total give or takes

so this kind of puzzles me, how can we tell if which usage data is right ? is my cheap tablet being cheap because of this so it would only see about 2GB of the 32GB SD card maybe this was the reason ??

thanks for your help and advise

A few things... First of all did you format the new card? My preference is to always format in my PC. Second a 32GB card no matter what will never be 32GB but if you really want to tell how much you have on your card right now take it out of your tablet and put it in a care reader or if you have a card reader built into your PC or MAC but say PC, Then go to my computer where you see the card. Right click and go to properties where it will tell you what is being used and what you have open. Then you will know and put it back into your Tablet. Most apps don't take up as much as one might think they do. Lastly make sure all the apps you are moving indeed are going to the card and not internal memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781