HTC One X+ Downloading Trojans

makaveli144

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys

My first post here but I really need help,when I first got my new phone it downloaded a random .apk through chrome and installed it. I hadn't given it permission to do anything so I completly reset the phone deleting all data. Then a few minutes ago I was on the Sun website ( a UK news website ) and it began to download a random .apk named 1234hws3.apk, again I never pressed anything or gave it permission so I managedto quickly reboot the phone hoping it would stop the Download. But I turned it back on and it said download complete and Avast Antivirus popped up saying it had detected a Trojan in the file and did I want to delete it. So obviously I let avast delete it and scanned it again and it came back all clear.

So the questions I have is why does it download these random .apk, is there anyway I can stop it, and can I assume my phone is clean? Does everyones phone do this every now and again?

By the way my phone is not rooted.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello Guys

My first post here but I really need help,when I first got my new phone it downloaded a random .apk through chrome and installed it. I hadn't given it permission to do anything so I completly reset the phone deleting all data. Then a few minutes ago I was on the Sun website ( a UK news website ) and it began to download a random .apk named 1234hws3.apk, again I never pressed anything or gave it permission so I managedto quickly reboot the phone hoping it would stop the Download. But I turned it back on and it said download complete and Avast Antivirus popped up saying it had detected a Trojan in the file and did I want to delete it. So obviously I let avast delete it and scanned it again and it came back all clear.

So the questions I have is why does it download these random .apk, is there anyway I can stop it, and can I assume my phone is clean? Does everyones phone do this every now and again?

By the way my phone is not rooted.

Hmm.... are you sure you're going to the authentic website? Perhaps it's a spoof of the website (making it look exactly the same as the original). I have never had a website randomly download an apk before. So my best guess is that it's the website itself that's infected. And mind you, legit websites CAN and do get infected. Just don't go to that site anymore for a while. And just to be on the safe side, factory reset your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To prevent driveby installs, you also might want to uncheck the option to allow installing apps from unknown sources in Settings/Security.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

makaveli144

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm going on the assumption the site was infected.

Bdiddy the option is unchecked and as far as I am aware it didn't install,it just downloaded all on its own.

The first time however it did manage to install,hence I did the full reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, good. With Android, merely downloading a file shouldn't do any damage--it's only if you give permission to install a malicious package that all hell can break loose. If you still have the file that downloaded, you might consider forwarding it to an antivirus company like Lookout or Kaspersky to see if they'd like to study it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, good. With Android, merely downloading a file shouldn't do any damage--it's only if you give permission to install a malicious package that all hell can break loose. If you still have the file that downloaded, you might consider forwarding it to an antivirus company like Lookout or Kaspersky to see if they'd like to study it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Yes. So they could find more apps with it.
What confuses me, that it was a apk file...
Usually Android viruses are just code, embedded in the apps themselves.

Sent from my XOOM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance