HTC Incredible vs Moto Droid X

ivybat

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new here (first post), but it seems like this is the top place to learn and get advice, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I know that the X vs. DInc argument is around a lot, but I've done a lot of research (and searched the boards) and nothing feels like it addresses my situation.

I'm already on a Verizon family plan, so I'm stuck on Verizon. As a computer science student and very tech-oriented person, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to switch over to the smart side from my 4 year run with the LG Chocolate line (shut up, they were free). Given that I want to get the best phone possible to last me at least two years, I'm torn between the HTC Incredible, and the Moto Droid X.

As far as I'm concerned, both phones have the same specifications--I don't think the hardware difference is a big deal, though I may be wrong. On the Droid X side, it's the biggest, baddest friggin' phone on the market, and that's really hard to resist. Plus, it's got Froyo and an easy root to remove that crapware. On the other hand, the Incredible has Sense, which is familiar (siblings have the Eris) and would hold my hand in the smartphone transition process. Plus, I don't have to go through the warranty-voiding hassle of rooting it, and Froyo is rumored to come soon.

I've read many reviews and articles, but everything online boils down to this: if you like foo in a smartphone, get the X, but if you like bar, get the Incredible. What do you think would be the best phone for a tech-geek, super-user type like me?

I think the deciding factors are:
1) How custom and friendly can I make a Droid X with enough time and effort?
2) Is it easy to ignore the crapware on the X?

Thanks

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately, it all boils down to preference. How does the phone feel? Does it fit in your pocket if that is where you usually keep your phone? That sort of thing.

Some folks feel that the DInc is “snappier” in performance then the X. Others like the polish of Sense better then the PhilBlur on the X, but again I think this is mostly subjective because there are others still that swear the opposite.

On the technical front, if you see yourself playing with custom ROMS or even trying to cook your own ROM, then the DInc is probably the better choice. The e-fuse on the X would prohibit that for the foreseeable future. I’m sure the Unrevoked guys are working furiously, but it’s not out as of yet.

Best advice is go to the VZW Store and spend some time playing with each device to get a feel for them. They are both great phones, but I think the DInc probably the better choice if you’re considering developing OS level code for the devices.

Hope this helps.

ivybat

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the pointers. I thought that, if anything, the X would be snappier but I guess I'll have to see for myself. The one VZW store I went to didn't have any live phones so I'll have to check other ones.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the pointers. I thought that, if anything, the X would be snappier but I guess I'll have to see for myself. The one VZW store I went to didn't have any live phones so I'll have to check other ones.

Usually the Corporate stores have demos. Most re-sellers don't. You can find the closest Corporate store on VZW's web site.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
  • The X has a 1GHz OMAP3630 processor which is faster and more efficient than the 1GHz Snapdragon on the Incredible
  • Droid X has a dedicated GPU and can easily render graphics smoothly whereas they can be a little laggy on the Incredible
  • Battery Life is a lot better on the X. Just read around the forums or find some reviews. Former Incredible owners here have stated that the X's battery life is even better than the Incredible's with a 1750 mAh extended battery
  • The X has 6.3GB of space for app storage out of the box and the Incredible has somewhere around 700MB (I think)
  • The UIs come to preference but I've heard more people prefer Sense to the stock-like UI on the X. Although, you can download various home replacements like LauncherPro and themes that can change the way the UI looks. I have LauncherPro on my X and it's the snappiest and fastest launcher out there - it's faster than the ADW and Sense UI launchers
So if you want the faster and snappier phone with a larger screen, go for the Droid X. If you want the smaller form factor, go with the Incredible.

ivybat

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The battery life is a big thing for me. I just wish there were a big phone with Sense on VZW... the Evo just makes everything so easy for Sprint users.

Thanks for all the input, I'm definitely leaning X at this point.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
After having both and using both for sometime, I have to admit, I miss my Droid X since I took it back due to some issues but I intend on getting another sometime in the near future. Right now Im currently using the Incredible which is still a great device.

The Internal memory on both is the same. Both sit around 8gb but a little less due to stuff that comes already installed on the phone so more like around 6-7. The Microsd card I believe on the X can hold more up to 32gb. On the Incredible Im unsure if it can get that much but I may be wrong.

The battery - The Incredibles battery life is horrendously bad and I mean BAD. Yesterday I had to charge my phone 3 times throughout the day as it died so quickly. My X however could go a day and a half without a charge.

Performance - This boils down to what you interpret as performance. As for the base UI's on both. The Incredible feels quicker with Sense while the Moto UI is a big laggy and sluggish BUT thats just the UI. That doesnt mean opening programs, browsing on the internet, downloading, installing programs, watching videos, etc, etc, etc that does not involve using the base UI, With that said, the X to me felt quicker in everything else that didnt involve the base home UI. And by the base home UI I mean when you press the home button and it goes back to your home page. Scrolling from screen to screen, Sense just felt "quicker" and "smoother". But that doesnt mean much as I didnt buy both just to sit at the home screen and flip from screen to screen.

The X wins handsdown in everything else. Oh, and dont get me started on the screen. The screen on the X is absolutely amazing. The shear size alone makes me like the X more. Browsing on the X is feels like Im browsing on a laptop due to its size. Loved it.

My main complains with the X were:

Wifi connectivity issues plagued my device as I would connect then immediately disconnect and it would be a neverevending cycle.
The phone would get all wacky when unlocking the screen after turning it on and go haywire either turning the screen completely black and freezing for minutes on end or would just do random things.
The device itself would get very hot; Im starting to expect these 1ghz devices to get warm as the last few Ive used all do the same thing.

Now the BIG thing I really loved about the X was the call quality. It IS a phone afterall and on the Incredible call quality was terrible, very very terrible compared to my X. Like I said earlier, I intend on going back to the X in the near future once verizon gets their head out of their asses with orders but for now Ill stick with the Incredible till then.

I like both but if I had to choose one it would be the X. Of course this is my own personal opinion.

P.S. If you want a quicker, snappier UI experience, download LauncherPro on the X and then the X will be quicker in every single department. I wish these phone developers would learn from whatever the Launcherpro dev did to make the UI extremly smooth. The App drawer, scrolling from screen to screen, etc on launcher Pro is how it SHOULD be. Extremely smooooth.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The battery life is a big thing for me. I just wish there were a big phone with Sense on VZW... the Evo just makes everything so easy for Sprint users.

Thanks for all the input, I'm definitely leaning X at this point.

FYI - I have the 3500 battery on the DInc and I use the phone without fear. Day and a half - 2 days no prob. I usually charge overnight anyway, but since getting the 3500 I've not been stranded.

Hope this helps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21