Transition from iOS to Android - Seeking Experts

AMDZen

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
OK So here is the deal. I've owned iPhone's since the first one. I would consider myself a VERY advanced user on iOS. I am very close to making the leap from iOS to Android, namely because the HTC ONE is just super sexy and exudes all of the things I love about Apple. I've always told myself that I would love to mess around with Android but wouldn't buy a plastic phone that I can flex in my hand. The HTC ONE has finally come along to make this a reality.

iPhones are very restrictive if you don't jailbreak them, however, once Jailbroken there is basically nothing you can do on Android phone that you can't do on an iPhone. In fact, given my limited knowledge on Android devices, the iPhone can do a few things that I don't know if Android can do. Thus this thread. I want to find out if Android can do some of these things and get as much information as I can before I make the dive.

I hope there are people on this forum with great knowledge of both iOS and Android that can help answer some of these questions. If you don't have great knowledge of th iOS Jailbreak community then you probably can't answer some of my questions.

First things first. I understand that you can unlock the bootloader on many Android phones. It sounds like you currently can do this on the HTC ONE and that unless AT&T patches it soon, when I make my purchase I should be able to do this right away. Does this include unlocking the phone? Can unlocking the phone be done via software? This isn't a huge concern but traveling would be much easier if the answer is yes. Once I have unlocked the bootloader, I understand I can load custom ROM's as they are released for the phone. However, right away I should be able to load custom "launchers" correct? Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology there. Obviously I need some information on this.

Also, what will be the best way to transfer my contacts? I understand that this should be simple, just want everyones feedback on this. Can I simply export them via Bluetooth?

Now on to the more difficult questions. First off. I play a lot of online games where you create an account and then your app is tied to that account. A few examples are like the "Storm8" games that are on iOS and Android as well as Dark Summoner which I know is on both. Puzzle & Dragons is another great example. I currently have multiple iteration's of "Puzzle and Dragons" running on my iPhone with multiple user accounts so that I can have multiple characters in that game. Can this be done with Android?

The best thread I found on this is here

How to install multiple instances of the same .apk - xda-developers

However it doesn't look like this is possible. Then someone came along with an idea to rename the .apk and it looks like there may be hope. Hoping some folks can shed some light on this here and if not I might tread over there to see if they can help.

Is there an Android equivalent to iFile? iFile is a great tool on iOS that makes doing the above possible. Browsing throughout the iOS file system to do all kinds of things. I am really hoping there is an equivalent app for Android.

Other apps that I am wondering about equivalent apps to:

MyWi - tethering app made very easy. I don't want to pay AT&T for tethering my phone. I assume android has this but is it through Google Play or do I load another less official app sore to get this?

Also apps like "Fake location" where you can change where you are in case an app doesn't like to function based on where you are located. Sends a different location to an individual app to fake it out.

iBlacklist - as i understand Android does have blacklist apps so you can block certain numbers from bothering you and sending them strait to voicemail.

XBMC - I'm sure android has this, i think it was on Android first.

Game Emulators and ROMs - I'm also sure android has this as the same developers have made them for both. Again, do I get these through Google play or alternative means.

Is there an equivalent to Cydia, where developers can kind of submit there stuff and you can add different sources to get material or is it all through seperate app stores.

I know i have a lot more questions but this is a good start. Please post away.