What to do with my broken phone???

Canonlaw

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My wife broke her Droid Razr by dropping it on the cement. The screen is cracked and the screen is black. If I plug it into the HDMI port I can see the screen, but only half the screen is responsive, so i can't do the pattern unlock. I am wondering if this phone is ok to dispose of, either by selling for parts or just recycling. Since I can't get into the menu I can't do a factory reset, but I am guessing whoever bought the phone wouldn't be able to access her data since there is a screen lock on it right? If they did replace the screen, the only thing they could do at that point would be to wipe the phone right?

I have tried doing the hard reset blindly by following instructions but have yet to get it to work. Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My wife broke her Droid Razr by dropping it on the cement. The screen is cracked and the screen is black. If I plug it into the HDMI port I can see the screen, but only half the screen is responsive, so i can't do the pattern unlock. I am wondering if this phone is ok to dispose of, either by selling for parts or just recycling. Since I can't get into the menu I can't do a factory reset, but I am guessing whoever bought the phone wouldn't be able to access her data since there is a screen lock on it right? If they did replace the screen, the only thing they could do at that point would be to wipe the phone right?

I have tried doing the hard reset blindly by following instructions but have yet to get it to work. Thanks!

Many Best Buy stores have boxes to drop devices in for recycling purposes. It is possible to have it repaired at a cost from Motorola or a 3rd party place, but losing a screen is often $100-$200 or more. Because of the rare earth metals and especially the battery, I would recommend not just throwing it out in trash that will go to a landfill.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm