Is it possible to launch a 3rd party app when email received?

swiftguy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

can you help?

My cctv dvr comes with an android app that I can use to view cctv cameras.
The dvr is configured to send an email when it detects motion.

What I'm struggling with is trying to figure out how to launch the cctv android app when an email arrives, and then after a set time (e.g. 30secs) to stop the application or put it to sleep.

The idea is that I will have a number of android tablets on the wall in various rooms, and they will come on and off automatically when motion is detected outside.

Is it possible to achieve this? Is there an app that can look out for the email notification and then launch a 3rd party app i.e. the cctv app, and then after a preset time shut it down. (I think if the cctv app is left running in the background, the streaming is still continuing and drains battery and eats data.)

Please help,
Thx.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I think what you are proposing is out of the question as what you are asking is not going to work. I know for sure you cannot launch a 3rd party app for an incoming email that is configured to another email app unless you forward it to another app using the first email as a forwarder. The rest with the tablets I think you are on the wrong track there. Sorry.

swiftguy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I see, can an app read the notification bar when a new email arrives?
The other alternative to email is sms alert - I've just managed to configure to get sms text alerts as well as email. Does an app exist that can detect a new sms and be able to launch a 3rd party app?

swiftguy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Have been looking at Tasker, reading around trying to figure out if it can do it, but not easy to get head round.
Had a look at IFTTT, can send it an email but nothing there to launch an app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34