How to stop Google maps from tilting in navigation?

tkremin

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I want a map - not a stupid video game while I'm driving.
How do you get the stupid thing to *NOT* tilt when you go to navigation? Can't believe there isn't a built in option (like on Earth) on a settings menu. Can't find any info on this searching - hopefully someone here will know something - or know some one at goggle and get them to pull their heads out of their VR game oriented world arse and have settings for real people included.

SGIII, all latest updates. No, the two finger drag does nothing when in navigation other than move the map.

Maybe only way is to go BACK a version of maps and get rid of it?

Reactions: pkrohn

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know what he means either (too much ranting, not enough detail).

Maybe he means how the direction you're traveling is up? If so, tapping on the compass will toggle between that and North always being up. I imagine most people prefer the direction you're traveling to be up, but there is a toggle for those who prefer it the other way.

tkremin

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gone down south

When you go from the flat map view and hit navigate, it 'tilts' the view - I guess they call it 3D mode? So it looks like you are in a first person shooter instead of looking at a flat map from directly above.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ah. Well I don't think you can do an top-down, heading-up mode. Tapping on the compass will switch between the 3D heading-up view and an overhead North-up mode though.

3D heading-up is pretty standard for GPS systems. Tilting the map allows you to see further ahead on your route for upcoming turns, while allowing the car's location to be "zoomed" in for more detail on the crossroads and stuff that are near your current location.

That being said, I'm sure a top-down, heading-up view would be used by a few people. There are probably other apps out there that would offer this.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, more communication less ranting next time please!

You want a bird's eye or overhead view instead of head's up. Try clicking the compass, it'll switch Navigation view for you.

Most people prefer the head's up, since it better displays the turns you have to make. Try oy both ways, I'll bet you prefer it after a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

tkremin

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! just tapping the compass needle swaps it - I could not find that answer searching anywhere!! Was that a change in the latest update?

Reactions: pkrohn

tkremin

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I didn't know all the current terms. I hoped most people on here could understand without having to use specific nomenclature.

No, I won't prefer it, as I don't use the navigation to replace my brain while driving.
I want and over view map I can occasionally refer to quickly while driving to verify where I am and where I am going. The 3D does now help explain why so many accidents from people using their NAV systems. As a behavioral neuroscientist I can tell you mimicking the outside environment too closely causes a degradation of awareness of surroundings, through more attention paid to the display than the surroundings. It confuses the processing in the brain. And now go ahead and rant against that - but research supports it, whether you like it or not. Divided attention while driving is a hazard. Things that facilitate divided attention only make it worse.

Honu425

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
tkremin has exactly my issue, except navigation mode works quite well for me. I have this issue in the maps mode. With my old Galaxy phone Maps would display either "top down" or "3D" by tapping the screen to toggle. This is my desired mode. I want a "3D" view with "heading up" that tracks. With my new G4, I can't seem to make this happen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Best Regards

Jeff
:confused:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm in this annoying new "tilt" mode too but the compass is not present, the only way I can exit tilt mode is by exiting navigation. This is the down side of the much lauded free market when too much power is concentrated in the hands of one tech giant (Google), we have no choice.
Welcome, albeit to a decade old thread.

To exit tilt mode, do a two finger swipe down on the map. A two finger swipe up will enter it, for anyone curious. Not sure why did compass isn't present in tilt mode, but I know it will disappear in overhead view if you have the map oriented in the standard North up view. If you use two fingers to rotate the map, the compass will appear, allowing you to tap and return to North up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze