Play store not working on wifi (Samsung Galaxy S3)

MobiSpud

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well...... I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 and i am banging my head against the wall because Play store won't open or do anything when connected to my wifi. it is however functional when wifi is turned off and only mobile data is active.
Things i've tried (and still not working)
1. Cleared cache and data for Play store, google services, download manager and download (thanks to those handy hints on other forums)
2. uninstalled updates
3. Have tried seeing if anything has disabled and it hasn't, the last app on my 'all' is you tube
4. reset my phone to factory settings.

I feel like a pleb as I had this problem when I first got the phone but the clearing cache and data worked then and was fine for weeks but now nothing seems to work. if anyone has any suggestions on how I can solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This might sound dumb, but have you checked if your WiFi connection is ACTUALLY working? Sometimes proxies act up and unless you open a web browser page first, they won't allow you to connect.

Also, try with a different WiFi on a different router (public hot spot, maybe). If it works there, the problem might be with your router blocking something.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If possible, log into the Play Store on a computer and install an app to your device from the web interface. See if that helps. Also, did the issue still occur immediately after the factory reset and before installing apps?

jason martinez1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
hey man I having the same promblem with WiFi. did the clear cache and did data thing nothing worked. Did the factory rest work for u??? Your promblem happened the same time mine did very fustrating. Did the factory reset resolve it

stevesparks

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem, my SG3 connects to my wifi,linksys, but I cannot open play store. When I reconfigure the security on the router from WPA to disable in works! I have tried changing the radio frequencies when on WPA, but still fails to connect to play store. I suppose it must be a faulty router. Any ideas?

Lewispaul88

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I suggest to show your device to samsung service center as they might have the knowledge about the OS. If you still got the same issue then you can ask for the replacement.

Muddbeard

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I started experiencing this issue after one of the most recent updates to 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. After a little investigation, i was able to isolate a possible cause for my issue, and maybe others, as well as a (temporary) workaround: I'm using the latest Android version 4.1.2 (tested on VZW JZO54K.I535VRBMF1)

issue: if you connect to a WiFi connection using WPA2 Personal and attempts to dowload/update from the Play store hang and/or result in error 495 and 923.

So far, I have only tested disabling the security protocols. Others have had success changing security protocol to WEP, 64bit encryption, I intend to test further security protocols. In my configuration, using the same router, on a different VLAN, WPA2 is disabled, all security protocols disabled--on the same device, with the same carrier, on the same network-- the Samsung Galaxy S3 has no problems downloading from Play store.

UPDATE: I have now tested 3 similar Samsung GS3 on the same router, all using the latest v4.1.2. If security is disabled, all work without any problems. If any security is enabled, the internet works and every other connection (including amazon app store ?!?%@#) but Google Play Store will NOT download or update. Once again trying "clearing cache, clearing data, and. uninstalling updates." Updates from Play Store resulted in timeouts and errors (listed above). One of the phones had to have play store set up and had never had data stored for any apps. All phones work fine on other routers / networks.

My wireless network is primarily a Cisco Small business router, with some range extenders. Other than the updates to the SGS3 in the last two months, which did drain all of our batteries, the only other change to my network has been the addition of a femtocell -- which was installed before the latest VZW kernel patch. Not too mention the fact that should have little affect on the wireless network security when there was still an internet connection available.

Both Google Play Store and Samsung have blown me off with cookie-cutter "just factory reset" responses. It's laughable that factory rests are acceptable "troubleshooting". I have requested a change log from Google Play Store for their own recent app updates. Any reply to a Samsung support request is a bit more challenging. My next call will be VZW, and then Cisco.

Last edited:

sonalirk

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Play store not working on 3g (Samsung Galaxy S3)

Hi friends,
I am having the problem with google play store on my samsung s3 , since my last firmware update.
It sometimes gives me error 923 and otherwise stuck downloads and updates.

Worst I did not get any workable solution from google support.
I am able to download and update samsung apps and having no problem with other google apps.

I tried removing account and using new gmail account with play store but the its still the same.
It's really frustrating it's been a week now.

Does anyone know any solution?

Guys luckily I just scrolled in data usage section..... I had restricted the background data for a google service 'Media' to reduce ads.
I removed it and downloads and updates immediately started .

Last edited:

Mark Geschke

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have had this "no connection" report from Google Play and Words with Friends (WWF) 3 times so far, but now I can't correct it.

I have a Galaxy S Model SGH-1879, running firmware 2.3.5, Kernel version 2.6.35.7 and build # Gingerbread.UCKK4, and GooglePlay Build 4.3.11. My Phone has been working fine with a Blank SIM card, and only having Wi-Fi available for connectivity for at least 3 years. Until this problem came up.

As stated above, I have this problem of Google Play saying it can't connect to the Wi-Fi twice before. It come in concert with the exact same problem in the WWF app, which also reports it can't find the WI-Fi. The interesting thing is that all of the other applications using the Wi-Fi work great.

The first time it happened, was about 6-8 months ago. I got it to resolve itself by removing the battery, the SIM card, and my extra SD card, waiting 30 seconds and then starting the phone back up. The problem was gone and it stayed gone until about 3 months ago when it happened again. I applied the same fix, and it worked again, until about 4 days ago. It is not resolving itself this time for some reason

All applications except for Play and WWF are working fine over the WI-Fi connection.

I have tried the cache clearing mentioned throughout the thread but it also didn't work. I have not yet tried to back out the updates.

Hopefully, my additional information will aid in one of you Wizards fixing this problem.

PS: I just uninstalled the updates to Google Play, and now the application starts to open and closses within 1 second. It is just a flash on the screen.
I then tried to got to the Play Store through the browser, but there are so many security certificate errors and mismatches that it is non-functional as a web page.

Thanks,
Mark

Barbara Reese

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends,

I did a soft reset on my S3 last night and email notifications stopped. I then discovered that all google apps had stopped and could not establish a reliable network connection. My Wfii was working and I could use the internet. After spending hours trying various fixes I found on the Internet, I decided to check the date and time. My settings were not automatic and the date was wrong. I traveled to another country a while ago and set the time zone to that area.
I live in the mountain zone so changed the settings to mountain time. The phone instantly went into syncing and when I went to my gmail account it synced and everything is working.

Please check the date and time settings before you do anything else.

Bryan Scarborough

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had this same problem many many times, usually after something has updated, weather it be an app or my phone itself.
But I have been dealing with it by changing the Network WPA/WAPI Encryption with in my router, usually set to TKIP+AES I set it to AES reset the router+phone test if it works it usually it connects then I change it back to TKIP+AES reset the router and phone again usually that solves it.
I hope this helps some of you with this problem

aadipk

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I manually updated my s3 with android 4.3 (Open Europe Test Firmware), after installing when i tried to make google account via wifi it said "no connection to server", however browsing was good and problem was only with google play, then i tried many things to resolve this issue,

- I Disabled my wifi and moved to 3g (i was surprised that google play was working well with 3g)
- Then i checked my router settings (and changed DHCP server to static) (Problem didnt solved)
- Then i cleared the cache, factory reset, restricted background data (But problem remained same)
- Then just for checking I enabled / disabled "flight mode" after that I deactivated / activated "data network mode"
- And i here i go, i got success.

Google play is working fine with wifi and 3g as well.

Hope it will help the needy :)

Muhammad Adnan

Maria Aftab

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey...I had this same problem and tried everything...but this stupid little thing solved my problem. I went to settings then clicked on accounts, google and then clicked sync now. It actually worked. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar