Just switched from BB... "Phone only" mode?!?!

incinerate2007

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

After over a decade of being a loyal blackberry user I finally took the plunge and bought my first Android product... an HTC One.

So far I'm super happy with it, but there is one particular thing that I can't figure out which is driving me nuts!

On blackberries, you have a mode called "phone only" which is basically silent mode, except for the phone ringer. This is important to me because I don't have a land line so I need to be able to hear my phone at all times in case of emergencies, but I don't want to be woken by random spam, text messages or other notifications in the middle of the night.

Is there a built-in solution for this on Android? If not, then what apps would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Settings/Sound/Volumes, then adjust the Notifications slider all the way down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

incinerate2007

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Settings/Sound/Volumes, then adjust the Notifications slider all the way down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

That does not work unfortunately.

I'm trying to "customize" the silent mode so that the phone ringer will work, but the notifications will be silent. Unfortunately there are 2 problems:
1) The ringer and notification share the same volume control
2) The moment I try to increase volume in "silent" mode it automatically reverts back to "normal" mode.

I'm really surprised Android hasn't come up for a solution to this... I would think it's a pretty big nuisance for those of us who don't use landlines and rely on our mobile as our primary phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid Razr Maxx, so I'm not sure if my settings are the same as yours on the One. On my phone, under Settings/Sound/Volumes, there are separate volume sliders for Media, Ringer, and Notifications. Do you only have sliders for Media and Ringer/Notifications?

You're right in that if you try to increase the Ringer volume while in Silent mode, it will revert back to Normal mode. But what I was suggesting was to stay in Normal mode, and go to Settings/Sound/Volumes to slide down the Notifications volume when you need to--that is, if you have a separate Notifications volume slider there to begin with.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid Razr Maxx, so I'm not sure if my settings are the same as yours on the One. On my phone, under Settings/Sound/Volumes, there are separate volume sliders for Media, Ringer, and Notifications. Do you only have sliders for Media and Ringer/Notifications?

You're right in that if you try to increase the Ringer volume while in Silent mode, it will revert back to Normal mode. But what I was suggesting was to stay in Normal mode, and go to Settings/Sound/Volumes to slide down the Notifications volume when you need to--that is, if you have a separate Notifications volume slider there to begin with.

uploadfromtaptalk1368858749790.jpg

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

incinerate2007

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Yes, as return_0 helpfully pointed out above, my ringtone & notifications volume slider is combined. As such, I can't keep it in "normal" mode and simply turn off the volume for notifications. Otherwise your solution would have worked perfectly.

Turn off wifi, turn off mobile data.

I would rather not do that, I'd like to be able to receive emails/texts while I'm sleeping... just don't want to be woken up by them.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, please let me know if anyone has a solution to this problem. I think I'm going to have to resort to an app for this, but no idea what's out there that addresses this problem.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like HTC might've combined the volumes? That's not an Android issue....sounds like an HTC/Sense issue. I know they're all separate on my Galaxy S3 as well.

But there are lots of alternatives, as B.Diddy points out.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like HTC might've combined the volumes? That's not an Android issue....sounds like an HTC/Sense issue. I know they're all separate on my Galaxy S3 as well.

But there are lots of alternatives, as B.Diddy points out.

On my Nexus 4 they aren't separated...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

incinerate2007

May 18, 2013
Visit site

From the "Sound Profile" link B Diddy provided above:
"Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich ICS or Jelly Bean) ties your notification and call ringtone volume together. Now you can solve it. This application will split them."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From the "Sound Profile" link B Diddy provided above:
"Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich ICS or Jelly Bean) ties your notification and call ringtone volume together. Now you can solve it. This application will split them."

The odd thing is that on my RAZR Maxx with JB, the ringer and notification volumes are separate. And Moto's modification of Android is pretty light, so that's why I thought it would be the case across the board.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome