Need help picking a tablet!

Dustin6707

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
As the title says, I need help picking a tablet. I am looking for one that would be good for a 9 year old boy. He will be reading, playing games, dropping it, and everything else you could think of. Must be below $200, but I could go $250 if there is a really good one at that price. Any input would be wonderful!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check out nabi.

Alternatively, you could buy a Nexus 7, which is the best bang for your buck, and then armor it up with a kidproof case like this one.

If the Nexus 7 is too expensive, then consider the Asus MeMO Pad, which is essentially a Nexus 7 with a worse screen and a slower processor. But for a 9 year old, it'd be totally fine.

Dustin6707

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was eyeing the nexus seven, but read a ton of stuff online saying the screen can crack very easy at the edges. It will be what I get if no one has a better suggestion. Is the galaxy tab 2 any good? I just seen it at $199 also.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

grumpycompuprof

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
My point is to stay away from the company-individualized interfaces on the tablet , I.e. TouchWiz. I would get the Nexus 7 for my daughter when she is old enough for it. Right now she has her free Fisher Price games on an iPod Touch and she likes that

I did not follow the link to a case that the other person responded, but I always liked the OtterBox for its ruggedness. That should keep it safe.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I fully recommend the kindle fire hd. Since your primary market is a child, it seems only fit that you can have control over what content he uses and what access he can have. The kindle fire hd is a 7" tablet that has multiple parental control settings. you can choose to allow him to play only games, or you can choose to only allow him to read ebooks, or you can choose to restrict internet access completely, limit to only certain sites, etc. It also has a set up for multiple profiles, so more than one person can use it. Each profile will have their own log in, favorite apps, and settings. It is not an android tablet, but many apps can be downloaded through the amazon store (angry birds, cut the rope, where's my water, etc.) As well as sideloaded. Not to mention it has a decent price starting at $199.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Jennifer, the Kindle Fire is a great device and feels pretty rigid. Although it doesn't have direct access to the Play Store, the Amazon App Market is just as good (from what I've heard/seen) so that shouldn't be a problem. It's worth a look if you are purchasing something for your child.